I finally get to work on a house originally wired by an electrician home-owner....

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

.... and IT SUCKS!

Looked at a home built in 1965. Current owner says the original owner was an electrician. They just want to replace all the devices, install new lights outside.... basically dress the joint up some. So I thought..... how hard can it be?

Turns out.... D*#*ned hard! I quickly realized it was all wired with EMT. Every single box is a nailed-on gem box. Just large enough for the original devices and splices. With 16d nails through each box. So none of them are large enough or deep enough to install a GFCI, a dimmer, or a recep/USB device. Every one of those, I had to dig the old box out and install a deeper box just to get the nails and EMT fittings out of the way for the clearance needed for the fat/deep devices.

Thought I'd be done going through the house in just two days. Nope..... I'll be there for at least 2 or 3 more.

And to add insult to injury.... the kitchen was wired with..................... 10. I will be so glad when this nightmare is over.

Last edited by a moderator:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
One alternative is to use a Wiremold extension box; the kind with a back cut-out that mounts over an existing in-wall box.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Looks like crap on a tile backsplash....
Yes, it does. I was thinking of in less-conspicuous places, as an alternative to replacing gem boxes.

If you can accept a blank plate (or abandon the boxes completely if possible), you can put counter switches and receptacles under the upper cabinets.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Every single box is a nailed-on gem box. Just large enough for the original devices and splices. With 16d nails through each box. So none of them are large enough or deep enough to install a GFCI, a dimmer, or a recep/USB device.
GFCI breakers instead of GFCI receptacles would be attractive in this case, unless the breaker panel is an old Pushmatic or something else where you can't get GFCI breakers.
With dimmers you're probably stuck with what you're doing.
For a USB supply convince the owner that plug-in adapters are much more flexible and future proof ;)

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
And to add insult to injury.... the kitchen was wired with..................... 10. I will be so glad when this nightmare is over.

I bet it does suck...
I have an electrician friend that did the same thing. He wired his own house, and used 10 for the receptacles.
said it was the worst mistake he ever made during trimout. 10 is a bear to terminate on receptacles, and even harder to work back in the boxes...

as I’m sure your finding out..😁

480sparky

GFCI breakers instead of GFCI receptacles would be attractive in this case, unless the breaker panel is an old Pushmatic or something else where you can't get GFCI breakers.
With dimmers you're probably stuck with what you're doing.
For a USB supply convince the owner that plug-in adapters are much more flexible and future proof ;)

Being wired in 1966, there's no 2 dedicated SABCs. So installing GFCI breakers would 'over-protect' much that doesn't need to be protected. And nuisance tripping becomes an issue.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
.... and IT SUCKS!
It's the better part of my biz in VT , where anyone can be a 'spark'

fact is, most of our 'home maintenance' companies hire washed out apprentices

and i'm expecting high unemployment to fuel more 'pseudo tradesmen' juxtaposed to the heavy 'prepper' influx we are experiencing as well

~RJ~

480sparky

It's the better part of my biz in VT , where anyone can be a 'spark'

fact is, most of our 'home maintenance' companies hire washed out apprentices

and i'm expecting high unemployment to fuel more 'pseudo tradesmen' juxtaposed to the heavy 'prepper' influx we are experiencing as well

~RJ~

Not many wanna-bes who bend pipe to wire a house.

Status
Not open for further replies.