I got another physics question this one kind of tricky

Status
Not open for further replies.

JONATHAN20

Where does electricity go? Nuetral wire, to bus to ground rod to earth. Now......here's my question (earth) is elect trying to find the core of the earth? Why does it have to make its way down. I tried searching online but there all to complicated? and plus you guys make my day with your sarcastic and sometimes utterly irrelevant remarks.

jeremysterling

To find out where electricity goes, I believe you must first know where it comes from. A difference in potential (tension) for starters. From there remember that current flows through all paths to lower potential, not just the path of least resistance.

If the core of the earth is the lowest potential for a given circuit, electricity may find its way there. Perhaps the POCO could set a meter down there.

the earth is just part of the ckt back to the XFMR

Last edited:

walkerj

The electricity flows from the transformer and back to where it came from, the transformer.

It has nothing to do with the ground. it returns to it's source, not the ground

mdshunk

The electricity does try to get to the center of the earth, but big companies such as GE and Westinghouse long ago drilled wells to tap into this stream of electrical energy before it gets there. They sell it to carpet manufacturers to place in their carpeting in the form of static electricity.

peter d

mdshunk said:
The electricity does try to get to the center of the earth, but big companies such as GE and Westinghouse long ago drilled wells to tap into this stream of electrical energy before it gets there. They sell it to carpet manufacturers to place in their carpeting in the form of static electricity.

How long did it take for you to come up with that? I'm impressed...you may have outdone yourself this time.

peter d

mdshunk said:

They also sell it to doorknob manufacturers.

ultramegabob

electricity is converted to heat, light, or motion, the excess travels back to where it originates, whether it is a generator or a battery, electricity flows in a circle thats why we call the path it follows a circuit. this may not be a textbook explanation, but its the best way I can think to describe what your asking. the ground rod has nothing to do with the circuit, it is a path for lightning to follow to the earth

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
mdshunk said:

brilliant. simply brilliant. ;)

iaov

mdshunk said:
LMAO!! Thanx Marc. Cleared up the carpet mystery for me.:D

nolabama

mdshunk said:
we still make carpet in america? these wells you speak of must be in Aisa:D

peter

For the ground, I just use a 16 oz. styrofoam cup filled with dirt. Stick a piece of scrap wire in it and I'm done.

What I don't understand is why all the "ground" [England uses "earth"] screws are green. Any fool knows that the ground is brown. All that slimy geen stuff is just surface vegetation, AstroTurf or pond scum. If you dare use a shovel, you'll quickly observe that the ground is really brown.
Therefore all ground screws must be painted brown.
~Peter:cool:

GUNNING

3 rules of thermodynamics

3 rules of thermodynamics

Your premise is wrong. The path of electric is from creation back to whence it came. Generator, Transformer (almost same thing) resistant load, back to transformer back to generator.

1 energy cant be created . (paraphrased : cant win)
2 energy cant be destroyed. (paraphrased : cant loose)
3 both rules above are inviolate (paraphrased : cant get out of the game)

The electrons return from where they came from. Maybe not all of them; but this translates into energy somehow.
The mass of the hemisphere is directly related to the use of the Hz we use and by by inference the electrons returning back to the generator are also involved. That's what puts everything on an equal plane of potential. The Circuit of life so to speak.
Capacitance, Resistance, Voltage, Amperage, Ohms, its all a mathematical relationship based on an equation. Both sides of the equation are equal. Hence, cant win, cant loose, cant get out of the game. These are our definitions. What really happens is an observable quantifiable interpretation. That's hard science.
The mystic would say its magic.
Personally I hope for a ground water table that lowers my ground resistance back to my transformer and does the work the NEC isn't making me do by running a bonding wire out to the roadside transformer and saving me a couple of bucks.

steelersman

peter said:
For the ground, I just use a 16 oz. styrofoam cup filled with dirt. Stick a piece of scrap wire in it and I'm done.

What I don't understand is why all the "ground" [England uses "earth"] screws are green. Any fool knows that the ground is brown. All that slimy geen stuff is just surface vegetation, AstroTurf or pond scum. If you dare use a shovel, you'll quickly observe that the ground is really brown.
Therefore all ground screws must be painted brown.
~Peter:cool:
or red in some places around here. :)

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
nolabama said:
we still make carpet in america? these wells you speak of must be in Aisa:D

north georgia makes a good bit of carpet. when i was a kid, i'd go with a buddy to stay with his uncle in a small town in north georgia that had nothing but a park, school, and a bunch of carpet mills.

alfiesauce

"The electrons return from where they came from." isn't totally complete.
All that a generator does is create a large positive area that is void of electrons. When you flip the swich you allow the electrons that are boutiful on the earth to flow back into that hole - which then continues to throw them out of the hole to keep up the appropriate current flow.
The whole goal of the earth is to create a neutrally charged environment.
That's my small limited view of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.