I had a very good first day

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

hardworkingstiff said:
I don't see what's so impressive about a 1,000-amp service. Now a 4,000-amp service, well.... now your talking, :smile: (I've never done anything larger than a 1,000-amp service.)
I think my first 10 years in the trade, other than my own house, I never worked on anything smaller than a 1000-1200 amp service. Kinda weird how things work out. Some resi guys wish they could do more commercial work, and some commercial guys would like to zone out with an easy resi job every once in a while. The old "the grass is always greener..." type of deal. :smile:

frizbeedog

mdshunk said:
The old "the grass is always greener..." type of deal. :smile:

I like resi. work myself, but I find many who want the greener grass. I respect those that can switch gears and be succesful at either. From a practical standpoint, for business owners, that shift is sometimes what is required. From an insatallers (regular field guy) standpoint there is a comfort zone in being good at certain things as it pertains to speed and efficiency.

There are so many aspects of this trade that it is really hard to be good, really good at all of them, all of the time. Many here are, and I respect them for it.

The good part is, that as an apprentice you are able to learn and absorb all you can while the opportunity presents itself. And if that situation presents itself, take full advantage of it.

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
hardworkingstiff said:
I don't see what's so impressive about a 1,000-amp service. Now a 4,000-amp service, well.... now your talking, :smile: (I've never done anything larger than a 1,000-amp service.)
I had a "journeyman" from another company that was slow working with us ask what the blue wire was for. He and his 20oz framing hammer soon went home

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
pick up your books

pick up your books

jonathan,
spend the money and buy yourself a codebook, if you havent already, keep it with you, and if you have a question look it up. also, I have Mike Holt's illustrated guide to the nec, a must have in my opinion. (I like pictures)

peter d

stickboy1375 said:
That place was the bomb! I flew an airplane of the top... :grin: I'll give you a hint, its almost directly across from ESPN in Bristol.

I've actually never been to Bristol, CT in my life. But after checking the link the building makes perfect sense - Otis Elevator. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.