I have 415/240V transformer. Turns out my loads need 240V phase to phase...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tecorp

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
1. single phase
2. the problem is that one terminal is "grounded". i agree with Wayne above that the responder isn't really understanding. 240V is 240V
3. aw man, single phase is what i need
4. i will look into this!
5. let me ask for specs and see what tolerances are
6. that might not be feasible since that would need another distribution board plus the 3 transformers and feeders to each haha
so referencing the install guide:
https://www.chargepoint.com/files/CT4000_Install_Guide.pdf

maybe we can install another transformer downstream between the existing transformer and distribution board?
so itll be existing 480V 3P source -> existing 415:240V 3P4W transformer -> new 240:240/120V transformer -> existing distribution board?

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Electronic switched mode power supplies are often rated from 100 to 250V so they can be used across the world. You can have a higher density of power supplies on a 240V system rather a 120V one, so large data farms started to install 415/240V systems. This lets them keep the advantages of a Wye but still feed off-the-shelf 240V equipment. This has been going on for almost 20 years now. The use of universal equipment allows their data center designs to be similar though they are in different countries.
Well yes, you could have any voltage. So why specifically 415/230V ?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Manual page 1-6 is very clear about what supply systems are allowed and disallowed. It doesn't mention 415Y/240V, but since corner grounded 240V delta is disallowed, 415Y/240V would also not work.

The obvious issue is that these EVSEs are actively monitoring the L-G voltage and throwing an error if it is 80V or less. See error code 206-FLC. I'm not aware that an EVSE is required to do that; if not, and if you could get the manufacturer to disable that, everything else might work fine (or you might have one of the problems I speculated on earlier). But I expect Chargepoint wouldn't do that.

maybe we can install another transformer downstream between the existing transformer and distribution board?
so itll be existing 480V 3P source -> existing 415:240V 3P4W transformer -> new 240:240/120V transformer -> existing distribution board?
You could, but you'd need 3 such transformers and distribution boards. Same as with winnie's #6.

If the >80V L-G monitoring is the only issue, then Larry's suggestion would work (240Y/137V).

Cheers, Wayne

tecorp

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Manual page 1-6 is very clear about what supply systems are allowed and disallowed. It doesn't mention 415Y/240V, but since corner grounded 240V delta is disallowed, 415Y/240V would also not work.

The obvious issue is that these EVSEs are actively monitoring the L-G voltage and throwing an error if it is 80V or less. See error code 206-FLC. I'm not aware that an EVSE is required to do that; if not, and if you could get the manufacturer to disable that, everything else might work fine (or you might have one of the problems I speculated on earlier). But I expect Chargepoint wouldn't do that.

You could, but you'd need 3 such transformers and distribution boards. Same as with winnie's #6.

If the >80V L-G monitoring is the only issue, then Larry's suggestion would work (240Y/137V).

Cheers, Wayne
wayne,

thanks for the reply.

this is just a sanity check: as for the transformer, instead of 240Y/137V, i can just go with 208/120V, right? page 1-6 says it is acceptable.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Because the voltage to the power supplies would be similar to what is found in other countries, for consistency in protection and operation designs.
Actually most of the world is 400V or 380V. Europe is nominally 400V/230V 50Hz.

Besoeker3

Occupation
H

Hooking up a 400 volt machine today. They provided a transformer to step up the 230 to 400. I believe it was made in Italy.
Mostly we used straight 400Vac, no transformer. That was industrial in my case. Residential was all 230Vac.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Yes, indeed. You have 460V/60Hz as a rule so why would you need 415V?
@jim dungar answered this in post 15 and 27.
We have 480/277V for high power loads such as motors and HVAC. We have 208/120V for most office use. We have 120/240V for single phase residential use. We don't _need_ anything else.

415/240V is becoming more common as yet another system to confuse people because you guys got it right across the pond :)

Seriously, most computer power supplies are specified to work with up to 240V L-N, and by operating at that voltage you get maximum power density in your power distribution system (panelboards, etc.) So 415/240V is used because it is the highest voltage which can be used with off the shelf computer hardware, and that is the case because it is so commonly used around the world.

If these power supplies were commonly available to work on a nominal 277V L-N (including the maximum allowed variation) system, that is what would be used.

-Jon

Besoeker3

Occupation
@jim dungar answered this in post 15 and 27.
We have 480/277V for high power loads such as motors and HVAC. We have 208/120V for most office use. We have 120/240V for single phase residential use. We don't _need_ anything else.

415/240V is becoming more common as yet another system to confuse people because you guys got it right across the pond :)

Seriously, most computer power supplies are specified to work with up to 240V L-N, and by operating at that voltage you get maximum power density in your power distribution system (panelboards, etc.) So 415/240V is used because it is the highest voltage which can be used with off the shelf computer hardware, and that is the case because it is so commonly used around the world.

If these power supplies were commonly available to work on a nominal 277V L-N (including the maximum allowed variation) system, that is what would be used.

-Jon
Well, sometimes we Brits get it right. Slight digression. For most of Europe (including UK) we use the SI system. Now and again we stroll over to our local pub. I enjoy a beer and my wife has a glass of wine. My beer is one Imperial pint. My wife has a 250 litre of red wine. Bit quirky I suppose.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
That sounds like someone who has no clue. I cannot believe that they would make a charger that would not work in literally 80% of the countries in the world...
These EVSEs may be North America specific models. Or it may be that they would work elsewhere with a firmware modification to disable the minimum 80V L-N monitoring, see post #23.

But at least for Europe, Chargepoint's models look different. Not sure if they have shared hardware under the hood:

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.