I have now, officially, seen EVERYTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Painting floor is great idea but has never worked for me, sheetrockers ignore and finish floor usually installed when I come back for trim-out
If you continually get buried boxes from a 'waller, drive 16d nails in studs adjacent to each location, leave about 2" exposed. Enough they can't be pulled by hand or easily knocked out. It's not a foolproof method but it will incite a reaction. :D

Besoeker

Stopped by a kitchen remodel today to take care of a few small items before the cabinets went up. I know the HO wanted plywood instead of drywall 'just in case the cabinet crew missed a stud".
I thought I had seen everything.........but this at a hydro dam......a cow fell in....takes the biscuit in my experience. The little 400kW turbine was still in operation.......

RiverCow_zpscf65f482.jpg

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Painting floor is great idea but has never worked for me, sheetrockers ignore and finish floor usually installed when I come back for trim-out
When my house was being built someone spraypainted a bright pink "6" on the slab in the kitchen, then the builder covered the floor in vinyl. Ten years later the paint finally migrated up through the vinyl. Not knowing where it came from, my wife tried and tried in vain to clean that pink 6 off the floor but it wasn't until we tore up the vinyl that we saw what had happened.

kwired

Electron manager
There was a building in a nearby town that was years under construction for a pretty long period of time. At one point most of it was sided, but one side still just had "house wrap" exposed. Presuming the owner spray painted a message on the "house wrap" that said "I never finish anythi".

Same guy has a backhoe usually parked at this place and at Halloween time puts a sign next to it with grave digging rates posted on it.

shoon

I wonder if he's run into really bad drywallers more than a few times.

This is what I found in my house after I bought it. The water pipe screw had sealed itself. The insulation was damp but not soaked.

Attachments

• i00432.jpg
    i00432.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1
  • i00431.jpg
    i00431.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 1

kwired

Electron manager
I generally try to avoid horizontal runs in places where cabinets will be fastened to a wall, even if 1-1/4+ inches from face of studs.

I would probably avoid it if I were plumber also. Drain piping doesn't always leave you with much choice though.

If no choice but to make a horizontal run, I at least try to avoid the areas of the wall where cabinet fastening generally takes place.

sii

I wonder if he's run into really bad drywallers more than a few times.

This is what I found in my house after I bought it. The water pipe screw had sealed itself. The insulation was damp but not soaked.

The process in our plant leads to a lot of inconsequential leaks. I have a co-worker who always says, "meh, it'll candy over."

Also I remodeled my bathroom about ten years ago. I did that with the VERY LAST screw I put in. Too bad I didn't find out until the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.