I-Line panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

It seems I've noticed in some past threads that some of you purchase I-line equipment in pieces and put them together yourself.

Do I remember correctly? If so, I assume it is to save money, what do you believe the % of savings is compared to a SQ-D assembled panel?

mdshunk

I dunno. I've tended to buy I-line stuff in kits, with breakers and all, even if I don't need every breaker the kit comes with. Much cheaper for me that way. Similar idea with Square D's switchgear. Not really a catalog item that way, per se, but the Square D rep can give you the scoop on that.

ITO

I believe its much cheaper to buy a panel full of breakers rather than than a piece a a time

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
less expensive

less expensive

ITO said:
I believe its much cheaper to buy a panel full of breakers rather than than a piece a a time

That's definitely true in this area. And be sure to let the Square-D dealer know you are pricing other equipment. I've seen contractors purchase panelboards just to get the breakers they need and scrap the panelboard rather than buy I-Line off the shelf.

mdshunk

augie47 said:
That's definitely true in this area. And be sure to let the Square-D dealer know you are pricing other equipment. I've seen contractors purchase panelboards just to get the breakers they need and scrap the panelboard rather than buy I-Line off the shelf.
Not quite as big, but I'll buy a Homeline builder pack panel for 49 dollars to get a main breaker out of it to replace a QO or even a weatherproof disconnect's main (same main in all that stuff). Scrap the can, plus I get a few HOM breakers for stock. Winner, winner.

Buying your MDP's with breakers is the way to fly, price wise. Either rape out the extra's for your own use, or mark them as spares.

Status
Not open for further replies.