I need help for you guys... :o )

Status
Not open for further replies.

z06nut

With out getting too technical with your responces, what size service conductors would you use if no other information was given to you other than this?...

200 amp main breaker and the underground feeder cable is just over 200' long. :)

hurk27

Re: I need help for you guys... :eek: )

Depends on wether or not you have to figure in voltage drop or not? The fact that you gave the 200' mesurement does not mean anything if this is a test question because the NEC does not require voltage drop to be figured in. But like stew asked it will depend on weather or not this is residential or commercial. as 310.15(B)(6) allows us to run one size smaller if it is residential and if this wire is between the service drop and the branch circuit breakers. Once you have passed this point then it is not allowed.

z06nut

It's residential and it is the service drop. Remember it is aluminum.

sdbob

I get it...

A guy installs a 200 amp MM and wonders why the utility pulls #1 aluminum 200' to his house.

If I ever saw them pull 4/0 AL to a 200 amp service I would retire forever.

Close?

z06nut

Originally posted by electricmanscott:
Are we being Punk'd?
I'm sorry if you feel this way. My expeiriance is mostly industrial. The last 6 years has been in high voltage as a feild service tech. I haven't pulled wire or ran conduit in over seven years. So please forgive me for my ignorance. I don't even own a code book anymore. My brother asked me to install his service for him. His house is nearly finished and he doesn't a perm. service. That's why I came here for assistance. If anyone would know would be you guys. I want to thank you for your input so far.

iwire

Staff member

This being a dwelling unit you can choose to use Table 310.15(B)(6) to size the service conductors.

Using that table a 200 amp service will need 2/0 copper or 4/0 aluminum.

In order to figure for any voltage drop (this is an option it is not a requirement) due to the 200' length would require knowing the actual load.

If I assume your 200 amp service is drawing 160 amps which is unlikely, the voltage drop using either 2/0 cu or 4/0 al will be only about 2.6%.

[ July 02, 2004, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

lady sparks lover

Originally posted by sdbob:
I get it...

A guy installs a 200 amp MM and wonders why the utility pulls #1 aluminum 200' to his house.

If I ever saw them pull 4/0 AL to a 200 amp service I would retire forever.

Close?
I guess you'll be working for a long time, because I'll never see it either....

Lady :)

hurk27

They do here in NW Indiana. And if we have to install PVC under a drive or sidewalk then they want 3" ran :roll:
Ever try to get a 3" PVC conduit into a 200 amp can? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.