I still haven't seen it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

But every day, I get closer. Got a call to install new devices and covers over a kitchen countertop after the tilesetter got done. I gave a price over the phone based on what I was told.... 2 GFIs, 2 regular receps and three switches.

Pulling off the cover for the two switches for lighting..................

Sid%20by%20side%20boxes.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
Where you been hiding? I've seen two switches installed that way several times. Doubt any of them were done by someone with an electrical license. Usually ended up with two one gang plates that have been modified to fit closely to one another. 90% of the time they are not even the same color either.

ETA::)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Wow! To me, replacing a 1g box with a 2g box is easier than drilling the four new mounting holes, but at least it allowed use of a 2g plate.

Still . . . :jawdrop:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Wow! To me, replacing a 1g box with a 2g box is easier than drilling the four new mounting holes, but at least it allowed use of a 2g plate.

OK! I am not convinced that the device and box configuration shown could in fact be completely covered by a two gang plate, unless it is an oversize "goof" plate.
You might even have to use two two-gang plates, each with one blank half, and cut them to meet in the middle.

Replacing the boxes, with the tile work complete, does not look like a good option either.

kwired

Electron manager
OK! I am not convinced that the device and box configuration shown could in fact be completely covered by a two gang plate, unless it is an oversize "goof" plate.

Even the goof plate won't work - devices are too far apart to match openings in the plate.

You might even have to use two two-gang plates, each with one blank half, and cut them to meet in the middle.

Replacing the boxes, with the tile work complete, does not look like a good option either.
That would work, but two one gang switch plates is less cost, and usually easier to find as well then cut them in same manner.

This might be fine if one switch operates at 120 volts and the other at 277 volts;)

Plate is still a PITA to install.

480sparky

Well, it would have been a HELLUVA lot easier if I was able to do it before the tile setter got there! I did manage to get it changed, and was able to push the box a bit to the right so a standard plate (which is all I had on hand, I don't carry screw-up plates) to cover it all.

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
ZD2DSWSFTwWlLLxVf9xC%g.jpg
But every day, I get closer. Got a call to install new devices and covers over a kitchen countertop after the tilesetter got done. I gave a price over the phone based on what I was told.... 2 GFIs, 2 regular receps and three switches.

Pulling off the cover for the two switches for lighting..................

Sid%20by%20side%20boxes.jpg

So have I
Called to look at remodeling kitchen and new A/C unit. Asked to see panel and this is what I found ZD2DSWSFTwWlLLxVf9xC%g.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
Look again at the 6-32s. That what I was talking about when I mentioned drilling four holes.
:?

the cover screws? If switches are too far apart for plate openings to fit right I don't expect mounting holes to line up either, not sure what you are getting at here. Nearly if not every time I seen two boxes (especially non metallic ones like in OP) butted together, they are too far between mounting centers for any 2 gang plate to fit properly without modifications of some sort.

View attachment 21558

So have I
Called to look at remodeling kitchen and new A/C unit. Asked to see panel and this is what I found View attachment 21558
Seen a fair share of similar looking installations as well. Can think of one I was in more recently that you have your back against a furnace and ducting while your face is only a foot from the loadcenter, that is actually a good one in many ways compared to some of those with 110.26 violations.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
:?

the cover screws? If switches are too far apart for plate openings to fit right I don't expect mounting holes to line up either, not sure what you are getting at here. Nearly if not every time I seen two boxes (especially non metallic ones like in OP) butted together, they are too far between mounting centers for any 2 gang plate to fit properly without modifications of some sort.
I'm referring to the screws holding the switches to the boxes. Note that the switches are closer together than they would be if the normal yoke holes had been used.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm referring to the screws holding the switches to the boxes. Note that the switches are closer together than they would be if the normal yoke holes had been used.
Didn't see that, but is still kind of what I was getting at, something must be modified to make the cover work.

Status
Not open for further replies.