ICC E3 Plan Examiners test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jr99svt

Hello, New to the forum, I have just scheduled my E3 test. I passed the ICC national J-man, ICC E2 Commercial inspectors test and the ICC National Masters test. Ive heard that the E3 is the hardest test, Are there any good study guides for the E3 test? Anyone taken the masters and the E3? Is it really harder? Thanks, Mike in PA

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
welcome to the forum.

I think if you have passed the previous test you should be fine for the E3 certification exam. I don't know of any study guides, but if you know how to navigate the NEC you are good to go.

what is the ICC national master test?

E3 Plans Exanminer Test

E3 Plans Exanminer Test

I just took this test yesterday. Missed it by one question. I will go back and take it again.

Yes it is tough. Lots of calculations. Lots of questions about obscure sections of the code.

I have done quite a bit of testing in my career. Icc certification in both residential and commercial inspection, Iowa Class A Contractors, IAEI residential and commercial inspector certification, Wyoming Master Electrician, South Dakota Inspector. This E3 test is by far the most difficult I have taken.

There is a book put out by the IAEI called Plan Review. I highly recommend this book as a study guide as well as a reference guide for your personal library. Much of the information in this book you will use on the test.

Also if you don't pass this the first time, be aware you are able to review the questions you missed. It cost $50.00 to do this but the cost is well worth it.

Where I am at I can only test on Tuesdays. If I fail the test I have to wait 10 days before taking the test again. I can review on the Tuesday between testing and have a better idea of what I need to study. Then test the following week. This way there is not very much time between testing or review sessions. For me this really helps.

Good luck with your test, and let us know how you do.

E3 Plans Exanminer Test

E3 Plans Exanminer Test

I forgot to mention there are a lot of questions about the plans that are furnished for the test. I feel I am good at reading plans as far as electrical work is concerned, however I found these plans difficult to read and understand. They furnish you with a complete set of plans. Mechanical, Electrical , Structure, Roof ect. You only need the electrical plans portion of the plan set. The rest of the plan set is not needed.

Jr99svt

I took the test on saturday, and passed. IMO It was not harder than the masters test, but that could be because it was an 1 1/2 hour shorter. Same type of questions as the masters test, and a few obscure ones. This was my third ICC test with a set of prints, and i don't think that one set of plans that i have had have been good, I.E., they are designed to be difficult. Also a few IBC questions mixed in. Im 4 for 4 on ICC tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.