ICC electrical inspector prep

Status
Not open for further replies.

six73

Occupation
Electrical Inspector (ICC E-2)
I've been an ASHI home inspector for a couple of years with an electrical background prior to that (but not a licensed electrician), and I'm currently looking at getting the ICC E1 and E2 certs for the 2020 NEC and focusing on just electrical inspections. Due to financial constraints I'm planning on getting E2/commercial first and adding E1/residential later. I took the Nat'l Home Inspector Exam (NHIE) and passed pretty comfortably on my first try, has anyone done both that can compare? I understand that it's a random set of questions from a giant pool, same as the NHIE, but surely some sections are more heavily weighted, right? Or should I really be prepared to answer a bunch of questions about carnivals, marinas, and spray booths? Any other prep tips would be appreciated; I've currently got hardcopies of NFPA 70 (with the fancy index tabs), Ugly's 2020, and Code Check 9 and am working on familiarizing myself with all of them before I schedule the test.

I'd also appreciate any thoughts on the E3 plans examiner cert; I don't currently have any plans on getting that, but would it be a good thing to have in my back pocket? Right now my main focus would be 3rd-party rough-in and final inspections for my AHJ, so I'm not sure if plans examiner would be worthwhile.

Johnhall30

Occupation
Engineer
I will private message you some sample practice tests for the E1 and E2 exam that are modeled specifically after these tests

However, the ICC website shows the breakdown of the test questions and what percentage of the questions will be on specific sections

six73

Occupation
Electrical Inspector (ICC E-2)
However, the ICC website shows the breakdown of the test questions and what percentage of the questions will be on specific sections

Somehow I had glossed right over the outline section of the test descriptions that gives the breakdown of each test, but I see it now. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.