ice melt cable class A GFCI protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at a ice melt cable system and it specs one of those horribly expensive 30ma trip breakers. Just wondering if anyone has tried and had any trouble with using a regular class A GFCI? I have seen the more consumer plug in types used a bunch on a class A without problems. This is a raychem brand with a max length of 165 feet.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I am looking at a ice melt cable system and it specs one of those horribly expensive 30ma trip breakers. Just wondering if anyone has tried and had any trouble with using a regular class A GFCI? I have seen the more consumer plug in types used a bunch on a class A without problems. This is a raychem brand with a max length of 165 feet.
The code also requires that too:). Not sure if you will have problems with that length of cable and leakage current exceeding the trip level of a GFCI. If they make the ice melt cable the same as their industrial heat tape, there shouldn't be an issue....they specify an insulation test reading of at least 1000 meg @ 2500 volts.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Don nailed it, the dif between 5 & 30 ma is the 'crosstalk' that can trip them on longer lengths .......~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.