iCodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron

Since the NFPA codes/standards are available for free on the NFPA website for a while, I'm being gready.
Are there free copies of the international code series (IBC, IMC, IFC, etc)available for free someplace?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I haven't seen them, but I would expect that they would be as the real reason the NFPA put theirs on line was a response to the US Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals ruling in Veeck v Southern Building Code Congress. This case involved copyright issues when "model" codes are adopted by public bodies as enforceable codes.

As far as I recall, the law does not make them have to provide a copy of the code(s), it just has to have a copy available for someone to look at.
The local towns either have a copy at the desk available for a looksee or some even have them online.

I would not be surprised if the fact that since the NFPA has made their's available online, that sales have gone up. I cannot see any other reason for them to make the codes/standards available, as they are adopted and enforced by jurisdictions, not the NFPA.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... I cannot see any other reason for them to make the codes/standards available, as they are adopted and enforced by jurisdictions, not the NFPA.
Based on the 5th Circuit ruling, the NFPA was afraid of losing their right to copyright their codes if they were not made available for free. Had that case never happened the NFPA would not have made them available for free viewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.