IDENTIFING SOME HAZARDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to find out some examples of energized work similar to tasks with circuit breakers above 40calcm/. It has been told to me that racking or interacting with breakers labeled as dangerous was considered energized work. Were they wrong ? I am looking for things like this to add to a safe work practice list.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I am trying to find out some examples of energized work similar to tasks with circuit breakers above 40calcm/. It has been told to me that racking or interacting with breakers labeled as dangerous was considered energized work. Were they wrong ? I am looking for things like this to add to a safe work practice list.
Your description seems to be unclear on some concepts.
Energized work can be done with proper justification, controls and procedures. But it has to be necessary within a narrow range of reasons.
OSHA simply does not allow work on equipment which has been categorized above a certain Incident Energy limit. You have to either de-energize the equipment, find a way to reduce the hazard, or operate it remotely. No amount of procedure or control can override that.

Gold, I am not looking to do energized work just trying to learn some of the tasks that should not be done. If I learn of other tasks that should not be attempted would be very helpful. Some tasks do not come across as energized work at first glance and I like to be sure we can recognize them when they come up.
I never plan on doing energized work. Thank you for your reply it is very helpful.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Gold, I am not looking to do energized work just trying to learn some of the tasks that should not be done. If I learn of other tasks that should not be attempted would be very helpful. Some tasks do not come across as energized work at first glance and I like to be sure we can recognize them when they come up.
I never plan on doing energized work. Thank you for your reply it is very helpful.
Basically, energized work involves any situation in which you will be exposed to dangerous voltages. In addition to working in energized panels (other than operating circuit breakers with the cover in place), something as simple as changing the ballast on a fluorescent fixture is likely to be energized work unless you turn the whole lighting circuit off in a way that allows you to lock it out. If there is some sort of disconnect for each fixture, then it would not be energized work. Note also that operating a circuit breaker, even a low voltage low current one, in a panel could expose you to an Arc Flash hazard, requiring at least minimal PE, even though it is does not fall under energized work.
The most common tasks that you should not do come down to Arc Flash exposure, contact with dangerous voltages, and having equipment you are working on start up unexpectedly.
High work without either proper ladders (don't stand on that top step!) or platforms or lifts would be another category.
Working in any area like a sump pit, manhole or underground vault where there could be be hazardous gasses or lack of oxygen without having proper ventilation or warning or respirator gear would be yet another.
How about moving heavy equipment like a motor or transformer without someone with proper rigging training on hand?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.