Identifying MC cable

Occupation
Residential/Commercial Electrical Instructor
Hello!

I currently am instructing new electrical students in a college accelerated training course to join residential and commercial companies seeking to boost their work force.

I am searching for a way to identify MC cable partial rolls for the students. I can identify by feel, but that is an acquired skill.

Is there another way for a student to quickly identify 12-2 MC from 14-2 MC cable?

Thank you

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
If there is no marking on the cable or the wire there usually is a thin tape of plastic wrapped in the wire that has all the required information printed on it. PSX_20240206_102415.jpg

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm confused. I don't have anything. My comment was regarding the cable in post #7 which is MC cable. I still don't know what IC cable is, or how we got on anti short bushings.
Picture 7 is MC, I bought it. It Is insulated Ground, and doesn't have AL bonding wire.
AC cable would have the bonding wire. But don't know what IC cable is.

Occupation
I'm confused. I don't have anything. My comment was regarding the cable in post #7 which is MC cable. I still don't know what IC cable is, or how we got on anti short bushings.
ha ha,,,,,why not! ha haa, I typed it wrong....from what I saw from your post the cable with the plastic sheathing inside, most likely does not have an insulated ground wire.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Hello!

I currently am instructing new electrical students in a college accelerated training course to join residential and commercial companies seeking to boost their work force.

I am searching for a way to identify MC cable partial rolls for the students. I can identify by feel, but that is an acquired skill.

Is there another way for a student to quickly identify 12-2 MC from 14-2 MC cable?

Thank you
Burndy Wire Mike, I got one after I took a tape measure reading, gave it to the supplier, and got 350 MCM instead of 500 MCM. My measurement was correct, his determination was not.

Occupation
Picture 7 is MC, I bought it. It Is insulated Ground, and doesn't have AL bonding wire.
AC cable would have the bonding wire. But don't know what IC cable is.
I stand corrected Sir! I will be the first to admit my "short circuit" ha ha...I took a closer look at the plastic sheathing inside and indeed it does identify the wire size and type!! Thank you very much for your persistence to clear my fault, ha haaaa

Attachments

• MC Cable.jpg
    MC Cable.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 6