IECex CoC in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

19Marc85

Hello dear forum member's,

I am not sure in terms of US acceptance of IECex CoC regarding IS equipment certification. As stated in NEC 504, IS equipment shall be listed. This means investigated by NRTL and approved for applications covered by NEC, or?

Now I read on UL's and FM's homepage, both are recognizing the IECex scheme and issuing IECex test reports and also CoC.

But for US domestic applications, IECex CoC are still meaningless in terms of NEC certification and marking requirements or am I on a wrong way?

IS certificates by NRTL either for Class/Division (NEC 500) or Class/Zone Aex (NEC 505) is required?

mgookin

Hello dear forum member's,

I am not sure in terms of US acceptance of IECex CoC regarding IS equipment certification. As stated in NEC 504, IS equipment shall be listed. This means investigated by NRTL and approved for applications covered by NEC, or?

Now I read on UL's and FM's homepage, both are recognizing the IECex scheme and issuing IECex test reports and also CoC.

But for US domestic applications, IECex CoC are still meaningless in terms of NEC certification and marking requirements or am I on a wrong way?

IS certificates by NRTL either for Class/Division (NEC 500) or Class/Zone Aex (NEC 505) is required?

Those are questions for whomever will do your certification, whether it be UL, FM or any other NRTL.

If you're asking if there is a parallel certification which deems IS an approved US NRTL, I don't know. But the first place I would check is the building code where it lists all the acceptable NRTL's.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The NEC marking requirements are found in Section 505.9(C). One key element is they must be marked "AEx" rather than "EEx" or simply "Ex".

UL. FM, INTERTEK (ETL) may accept their European counterpart's CoCs as the basis for applying their own US domestic listing marks. I have been suggesting that to them for years. However, they may not accept them carte blanche. One of the early problems of accepting IEC certifications was CENELEC products may be HAZLOC tested but weren't necessarily tested for "ordinary locations."

Status
Not open for further replies.