IEEE allowance for harmonic distortion from solar inverters

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollyfarm

New User
Occupation
farm
Hello. First post on the site. Thanks in advance to all for making the forum available.
Anyone know for certain what IEEE states for maximum harmonic distortion (voltage and current) allowed (ie: by solar inverters) to be impressed on the utility grid? Practical mitigation?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Hello. First post on the site. Thanks in advance to all for making the forum available.
Anyone know for certain what IEEE states for maximum harmonic distortion (voltage and current) allowed (ie: by solar inverters) to be impressed on the utility grid? Practical mitigation?
I don't know the answer to your question, but the spec sheet for the SolarEdge SE80KUS through the SE120KUS says the maximum total harmonic distortion (THD) is less than 3.0%.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
We used to refer to IEEE 519 for harmonics at utility interconnection points for normal industrial installations.

ron

As Jim pointed out, IEEE 519 has limits for harmonics at the point of common coupling (usually the service entrance / meter). There are no equipment limits per the IEEE.

My understanding it that the EU has an IEC standard that establishes limits for individual equipment types, but that is not an established standard in North America.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I get the sense they are talking about passive filter elements that are integral to the inverter and not field installed.

Yes, I agree that it discusses mitigation measures that would need to be implemented either within an inverter, or as a separate device that interacts and communicates with an inverter. In any case, it would not be just an add-on to existing inverters.

This was an academic paper, and so the harmonic mitigation approach mentioned may never see the light of day.
But the main reason I posted the link was the paper's discussion of standards for harmonic content on the first few pages.

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Solar Design and Installation Professional
IEEE 1547 contains lots of requirements that inverters need to meet, including total harmonic distortion. I don't have a copy but you can buy from IEEE. I think it is 3%. All grid interactive inverters sold in US meet this, right?

pv_n00b

Inverters are required to meet harmonic distortion limits out of the box. That's usually good enough for systems up to a megawatt or so. Larger systems often have harmonic studies done and utilities have their own requirements that have to be met at the POCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.