If terminations occur in an LB, why is it not necessary to ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Read again, 314.16(c)(2) says splices have to be in accordance with the chart in 314.16, which only shows up to #6

If it's larger than #6, you can't calculate according to that chart. Therefore it can't be spliced
(1) General. Conduit bodies enclosing 6 AWG conductors or smaller, other than short-radius conduit bodies as described in 314.16(C)(3), shall have a cross-sectional area not less than twice the cross-sectional area of the largest conduit or tubing to which they can be attached. The maximum number of conductors permitted shall be the maximum number permitted by Table 1 of Chapter 9 for the conduit or tubing to which it is attached.

I read this as the first sentence addresses #6 and smaller conductors. If the entire section was about #6 and smaller that would be the section title. Next sentence clearly states the parameters for larger conductors being spliced, which is basically half the fill of one conduit because once spliced each conductor is counted twice. All of this is kind if intellectual for me because I would never consider splicing in an LB and economically it wouldn’t make sense to have to double the conduit side

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
314.16(C)(1) has nothing to do with splices. 314.16 is titled "Number of Conductors in Outlet, Device, and Junction Boxes, and Conduit Bodies," and subsection (C) is titled "Conduit Bodies," with (1) titled "General". So 314.16(C)(1) is just the general rule on number of conductors in a conduit body. Only when you get to 314.16(C)(2), titled "With Splices, Taps, or Devices" do you get to the rules for making splices in conduit bodies.

Cheers, Wayne

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Curiosity question , if you drill and tap a malleable LB , as other have stated, how does this not effect the integrity of the LB wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.