illegal policy???

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
hardworkingstiff said:
It's been SOP everywhere I've worked.

Same here and if I did run a company I would also make it SOP.

Unless there are contracts involved no one has a 'right' to a payed Holiday.

mdshunk

If a guy wants to turn his 3 day weekend into a 4 day weekend, then he can (try to) schedule that 4th day off like any other person would. Being "sick" before or after a holiday is alway suspicious. Hungover is not the same as sick either. :smile:

480sparky

Most places I've worked for, you would get paid for the holiday if you had requested the 4th day off as a vacation. Wording such as 'if you are scheduled to work...".

This means if you ask for the Friday after Thanksgiving off, and receive approval, you get paid for Thursday.

If you call in sick Friday morning, you won't get paid for Thursday.

Another policy was if a holiday fell on a Thursday or Tuesday, a Saturday work day was scheduled a week or two prior. Those wanting the 4-day weekend could work that Saturday, and put the hours down for Monday or Friday. I'm sure the gubbamint would frown on this practice, but we felt it fair.

brian john

I have never had this problem at this company*, but in the past I did with other firms and no pay was the standard. As of the last contract contractors no longer have this option, so if it became a habit. SO LONG SLACKER. But I am fortunate, my men are all responsible, house and kids sure make them want 40+ a week.

Nothing improves an apprentice's attendance like marriage or buying a house.

*I have an employee struggling at present but he has experience personal tragedy and I work with this.

At one construction company I worked at we received pay on Thursday, on Friday enough of the men did not show up that they changed payday to Friday afternoon.

360Youth

A company I worked for years ago had a "policy" of comp time. It started when I asked if I could set aside overtime for an extended vacation I had planned but did not have the vacation time to cover it. They approved it, but not to long after that instituted it as a voluntary policy for various reasons. Another employee apparently complained to a certain bureau and the policy came to an end and some reimbursement checks were issued. :rolleyes: I know what is fair and agreeable, but I am not sure what is right without written policies and contracts.

SmithBuilt

It is in my employee handbook each employee signs when offered the job.

I've never had a problem though. Perhaps because they know to get the vacation pay they must work.

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
Electrical Systems Inspector
Is This Right?

Is This Right?

I'm working a job that requires me to work 4 10hr days, Monday through Thursday. Monday was a holiday, shouldn't I be payed for a 10hr day? I tried to find something on the wage and hour web site but was unable, thought someone here could help.

mdshunk

fbhwt said:
I'm working a job that requires me to work 4 10hr days, Monday through Thursday. Monday was a holiday, shouldn't I be payed for a 10hr day? I tried to find something on the wage and hour web site but was unable, thought someone here could help.
They don't have to pay you for the holiday at all if they don't want to. You have no "right" to any sort of holiday pay. If they only gave you 8, take it and like it. If you have a labor contract, read your contract.

480sparky

fbhwt said:

Fourth of July this year falls on a Friday.

I think I'll change my schedule to no hours M-Th, and 40 hours on Friday that week.

Since it's the 4th, I should get 40 hours holiday pay.

480sparky

fbhwt said:
I agree, morales? What's that?

Morales.... he works with Manuel, Jesus and Julio. You know.... the sheetrockers! :grin:

Or do you mean this guy?

morales001.jpg

mdshunk

mo?rale [muh-ral]–noun
emotional or mental condition with respect to cheerfulness, confidence, zeal, etc., esp. in the face of opposition, hardship, etc.: the morale of the troops.

[Origin: 1745–55; < F, n. use of fem. of moral moral]

Status
Not open for further replies.