In ground pools a couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
I seen today a pipe t underground with a bonding fitting on it for return water from pool pump, about 20ft from pool. Would this eleiminate the need for a skimmer bond (skimmer is plastic)?

Also had a set up to rewind pool cover motor has EGC, but container to hold pool cover not bonded but all plastic except covers on long end.
Does motor need bond in addition to EGC?

Do ends of cover holder need bonded?

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
I seen today a pipe t underground with a bonding fitting on it for return water from pool pump, about 20ft from pool. Would this eleiminate the need for a skimmer bond (skimmer is plastic)?

Also had a set up to rewind pool cover motor has EGC, but container to hold pool cover not bonded but all plastic except covers on long end.
Does motor need bond in addition to EGC?

Do ends of cover holder need bonded?
Post a pic of the water bond fitting on the pipe. It should not buried but accessible for service/replacement.
I use a water bond fitting that threads into a 1" NPT. I set it in the plumbing at the equipment pad.

Sounds like your pool cover is an auto type?? The ends from the factory should have a strap that will bond the metallic roller portion and the metal track. The motor must be bonded as well and there should be a lug present.

dm9289

Occupation
Post a pic of the water bond fitting on the pipe. It should not buried but accessible for service/replacement.
I use a water bond fitting that threads into a 1" NPT. I set it in the plumbing at the equipment pad.

Sounds like your pool cover is an auto type?? The ends from the factory should have a strap that will bond the metallic roller portion and the metal track. The motor must be bonded as well and there should be a lug present.

Pool is an inground pool concrete pad to be poured around it.

Thank you and i missed your comment. My apologies i do not have a live picture. Internet version attached. I was present at an inspection the pool installer said the buried fitting was better because it was on the return and below water level so if pump died water would always be bonded. The hole was open to inspect. He believed skimmer was plastic so no bond.

As for the motor would the EGC be adequate or do you need an additional direct connection to bonding ring for cement pad.

Attachments

• pool-bond-kit-pb2008-650x650-small-dm.jpg
    pool-bond-kit-pb2008-650x650-small-dm.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 6

dm9289

Occupation

Thank you and i missed your comment. My apologies i do not have a live picture. Internet version attached. I was present at an inspection the pool installer said the buried fitting was better because it was on the return and below water level so if pump died water would always be bonded. The hole was open to inspect. He believed skimmer was plastic so no bond.

As for the motor would the EGC be adequate or do you need an additional direct connection to bonding ring for cement pad.
I see in listing info not rated for direct burial

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor

That is the one I use. It's a 1" NPT. I set it in the plumbing at the equipment. I would stay away from the skimmer types. At some point they will corrode away from chlorine or from a salt water generator and it will be a PIA to replace.

We set up 4 tails equidistant (ends and sides) on the rebar before the pool is shot. Also, a separate bond wire is attached to the rebar that will run back to the equipment and hit all the motors, heaters, etc.. including the water bond. The 4 tails eventually will be tied into the perimeter bond wire that will be set in place prior to any patio surface 18"-24" from the inside of the pool. We flop them over the pool edge until the patio area is prepped. Sometimes grass or mulch comes to the pool edge but the wire must still be in place.

dm9289

Occupation

dm9289

Occupation
That is the one I use. It's a 1" NPT. I set it in the plumbing at the equipment. I would stay away from the skimmer types. At some point they will corrode away from chlorine or from a salt water generator and it will be a PIA to replace.

We set up 4 tails equidistant (ends and sides) on the rebar before the pool is shot. Also, a separate bond wire is attached to the rebar that will run back to the equipment and hit all the motors, heaters, etc.. including the water bond. The 4 tails eventually will be tied into the perimeter bond wire that will be set in place prior to any patio surface 18"-24" from the inside of the pool. We flop them over the pool edge until the patio area is prepped. Sometimes grass or mulch comes to the pool edge but the wire must still be in place.
The hard part for me to understand is the why?
Pool motor for pump and heater are already connected to bonding system by EGC why is the second bonding conductor necessary

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Pool motor for pump and heater are already connected to bonding system by EGC why is the second bonding conductor necessary
Check out this post on this forum from 2017.

dm9289

Occupation
Check out this post on this forum from 2017.
I will read thru and thank you in fact i did the 2014 ultimate course and 2017 up to 400. the point to me still is your EGC at motor is connected to the case same potential as all pool bonding wires for cement frame of pool etc

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is only necessary where there the pool water is not in contact with bonded parts having more than 9 square inches of surface.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I will read thru and thank you in fact i did the 2014 ultimate course and 2017 up to 400. the point to me still is your EGC at motor is connected to the case same potential as all pool bonding wires for cement frame of pool etc
Not necessarily, EGC and EP bond may only connect back to the general system grounds via the incidental interconnect of the EP and the EGC at the pump motor, or maybe pool heater. No requirement for the EP to be brought back to the panel. Purpose of the EP is completely different from the EGC and are not the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.