"In-House" Contractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacksonburgFarmer

How many (if any) of you EC's on here work as in house or on site contractors for your customers, meaning you have someone on their site 4 days a week, or 3 weeks a month, or something of the like??? We are looking at proposing this to a couple of our customers....looking for opinions....

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We took over a very large farm operation from another EC that kept a j-man and apprentice on site every day. This customer immediately saw the savings when they realized they only needed a j-man one or two days a week. We only showed up when they called.

But if you've got the work, go for it. The previous EC I mentioned sat in his truck and played solitaire on his computer when there was no work, boredom would kill me if I had to do that, plus I wouldn't of been able to sleep at night knowing I was stiffing the customer.:roll:

Buck Parrish

How many (if any) of you EC's on here work as in house or on site contractors for your customers, meaning you have someone on their site 4 days a week, or 3 weeks a month, or something of the like??? We are looking at proposing this to a couple of our customers....looking for opinions....

This is very common in the Triangle. As some facilities don't want to hire and pay retirement benifits, etc...!!!.
Duke probably has had at least 50 electricians 40 hours a week. All from sub contractors. Some have been their for years.
It's all about not knowing how long they will need them.

Now I have left some guys on large renovation projects for weeks. But I don't think that's what you are talking about.

jdsmith

I'm on the customer end and we have one contractor that consistently keeps 10 electricians at the plant, right now it's closer to 25 because they have a lot of work. None of this is maintenance work, all new projects. Works well for me because I can issue a $5,000 contract as easily as a $500,000+ contract and not have to pay for mobilization, safety training, an hour of pipe bender here, 2 hours of JLG there, etc. Three benders, a threader, a few JLGs, scissor lifts, trucks, etc. are all on site and ready to go. The contractor of course keeps the same core group that knows the plant better than some of the employees. We still retain the flexibility of issuing large contracts to the same superintendent and project manager we always deal with and they can bring in additional personnel as needed. One thing to keep in mind is that loyalty may be built more toward the customer than the EC - this will vary depending on the situation but you're likely to have people jumping to work for the customer if that is a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.