In house training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
This is my first post in this section of the forum, and I want to thank you in advance for your replies.
I own a small shop in Southern California. I have two full time employees, and 1 part timer, plus myself. I want to start doing a small in office "course" for lack of a better term. When I did the same thing 10 years ago for the state cert test, It was beneficial for all of us. I want it to be sort of a refresher course, possibly working through the code, with a informal quiz at the end to see what is not sinking in. I will teach it, and it will be for us t better ourselves. I would like to know, is there a book in Mike's library I should work from, or any other syllabus I could follow? My main goal is practical knowledge that the crew can put to work, and have a sense of pride knowing they studied, learned and applied the knowledge effectively.

Thanks again for the input.

Brett

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

every time i see this question i grin, it's great. mike holts master or journeyman review . it starts out with electricicans math, theory, reciprocals, ohms law then works you all the way throught the code book in a thorough and concise manner, chapter by chapter. there are tests at the end of every chapter. bonus qwuestions and challenge questions. it WILL get you ready. i just got the 2011 masters review so i can prep for my texas master electricians license exam. i used holts books in vermont for a couple of years when i was teaching in the apprenticeship. can't go wrong there

cadpoint

I knew that one inspector locally who would hold update classes on code cycles, and just talk about anything that concerned the NEC.

I'm almost sure that you could find someone locally that can hold an audiance, I'll assume that's not what you want in the end, thus it's just a thought!

:ashamed1:

Pullnwire

Occupation
I knew that one inspector locally who would hold update classes on code cycles, and just talk about anything that concerned the NEC.

I'm almost sure that you could find someone locally that can hold an audiance, I'll assume that's not what you want in the end, thus it's just a thought!

:ashamed1:[/QUOTE

The head electrical plan checker at one of the larger cities her locally invited me to a class he taught, informally during the day on the city's dime, in a room they provided. It was almost perfect, but it was midday on a tues. it was hard to schedule around.....

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Ditto on Mikes exam prep. I am considering using it for a series of classes.
NECA or ? has a daily email electrical question. That would be a good topic for a shop talk.

97catintenn

Mike Holt's NEC Exam Prep sounds like just the thing. I'd use it to teach from too. I also have the books by M.H. understanding the NEC, but they just go through each section part by part. It's kinda good for certain sections, but it will put your group to sleep pretty quick.

Exam Prep keeps it fun and challenging :thumbsup:

Pullnwire

Occupation
Thanks for all the info guys. I knew i couldn't go wrong with MH stuff. Looks like we may be starting sooner than I expected!

webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Occupation
System Admin
Preparation Material for you In-House Training

Preparation Material for you In-House Training

Hello Brett. I apologize for butting in here, but we do have some good material to help you set-up this very type of class. Feel free to e-mail me anytime or call me at the office to get a quote or with any questions.

Sean Hutchings
Customer Service Supervisor / Webmaster Support
sean@mikeholt.com

Status
Not open for further replies.