In need of serious Help in preparing for exam asap

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejesua1

I've been an electrician since 1995 went threw apprenticeship program for 5 yrs and hands on for 6 i left to venture in other fields in 2002.I was working with low voltage for 7 years cameras alarm so on.Got layed off May 2009 have not found work since.I have worked with electrical contractors here and there for past year, and now i've come to realize that this is my calling being an Electrician.I want to get my Electrical Liscense in NEW JERSEY & NEW YORK.Now sorry for my life story my question is since i been out of school since 2004 and havent touched a code book in a while but am familiar with one.When i graduated from apprenticeship program i went to prep course for exam but had personal problems and never took test ,What is recommended for me to prep for this test.I would like a list of options please on what i should purchase im looking to do this before end of year. I appreciate any help that is giving and thank you in advance.
Antonio

sparky723

Welcome.
This is easy and your gonna get alot of this same type comment...

Mike Holt NEC Exam Prep book is one of the best Ive seen around.

Everybody on here talks about it along with other products he sells.

I have also heard that his dvd sets are great (if you got an extra grand laying around the house). LOL.

There is a feeling 'we' electricians have when we have done electrical work and are doing something else. That 'feeling' tells you that your calling IS the electrical trade.

Non-electricians don't know the 'feeling' but when its there its something that you gotta go for.

There are ALOT of knowledgeable people on here who can lead you in the right direction. They can be stubborn, but it is really nice to be able to punch in a question and before you know it, you have several answer.

Take care and keep the forum updated.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The exam prep book is good as it has (for example) information and pictures on voltage drop, then questions.
Mike Holt once said to me, allow ten hours per week, do 200 questions a week. You are probably a great tech on cameras, but not so good on tests. Practice makes perfect.

I've been an electrician since 1995 went threw apprenticeship program for 5 yrs and hands on for 6 i left to venture in other fields in 2002.I was working with low voltage for 7 years cameras alarm so on.Got layed off May 2009 .I want to get my Electrical Liscense in NEW JERSEY & NEW YORK.,What is recommended for me to prep for this test.I would like a list of options please on what i should purchase im looking to do this before end of year. I appreciate any help that is giving and thank you in advance.
Antonio

The dates and numbers do not add up. My first advice is to apply for the test(s) to make sure you are approved to take them.

Once you have been accepted, the people who you applied through and approved you for the test can direct you to classes that may be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.