in the slab or overhead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyha

We are in the process of entering updated pricing and labor units for our estimating system which we do about once a quarter or so and I am wondering if any of you guys have come to the conclusion about something. Usually it is cheaper for us to run as much branch in the slab as possible but here lately I have been noticing on the project closeouts ( the process where we compare the estimated values to the actual installed values) we are not saving hardly anything as compared to running it overhead. I am thinking that once you stub it up and change it over, plus you lose some to breaks and have to spend time chipping some it is about the same amount of time and material but with more headaches. Does anyone have a factor they use for each stub up that could maybe give us a more clear picture during the estimating process so we wouldn't have to find out that we spent the same or more until the work is done.

nakulak

we run in the slab, we put in a few spares, and if they get damaged, broken, end up in the hallway, whatever, we abandon them and run overhead. If the pipes have to be moved or the concrete chipped away then you've lost what you wanted to save. Can't help you with the pricing - sorry.

rustyryan34

I will say one thing, if your company does alot of it pipes in the slab, make sure your guys are the ones who lay the walls out as to where the pipes will stub up. We were doing a big prison job out of town where we had alot of different buildings going on at once, and as normal we were short handed and already working overtime. So we followed the walls that the data guys had layed out. Over half our stubs missed the walls and we couldnt use them, and we ended up piping overhead anyway. Always receck other peoples layouts is what i learned the hardway.

benaround

tyha, it seems to me that you have the answer already, what kind of factor

could we give you that your own shop records have already shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.