In wall splice for MC cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
I potentially have a project that will require buried splices of cables within a wall, without the use of a junction box. It will be a pre-fab home type of commercial project that will go together in sections. I know these are available for Romex:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Electronics-Romex-Splice-Kit-2-Wire-1-Clam-CPGI-1116377-2/202204326

I can't use Romex, as this is being installed in NYC, and it's not allowed by local amendment. Does a similar device exist for MC cable? This would be a "plug it together once and seal up the wall" type of connection. This is for a high end store, and the client is very sensitive to the idea of visible junction boxes, even if we dress up the blank cover plates.

Barring a suitable MC connector, my fallback plan is to wire everything in Smurf Tube, placing couplings where necessary at the joints, and pulling in the conductors after the wall sections are together.

Thoughts?

SceneryDriver

iwire

Staff member
I think the Reloc connectors just might fit the bill. Thanks!

SceneryDriver

As far as I know those are still required to be accessible.

I would forget about burying any connections and go with the smuf tube idea or figure out a way to hide the JB.

How many circuits are you talking about, sometimes just adding a receptacle using a large box can get you a 'hidden JB'.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
As far as I know those are still required to be accessible.

I would forget about burying any connections and go with the smuf tube idea or figure out a way to hide the JB.

How many circuits are you talking about, sometimes just adding a receptacle using a large box can get you a 'hidden JB'.

The Smurf tube approach will definitely be needed for things like the CAT5 and HDMI cables we will be tasked with running, as you can't really splice those mid run. There will be only 2-3 120V circuits, but there's lots of daisy-chaining that will happen between devices.

There's pressure to decrease the assembly/install time of these things, and so connectors were asked about/demanded. It's a strange installation, somewhere between temporary scenery and permanently installed walls, so perhaps a discussion with the AHJ regarding the Reloc connectors may be in order.

Or I have to tell the client to kick rocks and just let us pull everything through Smurf tube. We'll see. I'm mostly asking because I've been asked to research. I already knew the right answer (Smurf tube) but at least I can say I tried. ;)

SceneryDriver

SceneryDriver

Occupation
If your going to use concealed smurf tube make sure all your walls have a 1hr fire rating. (NYC Amendment)

Thanks for the tip. Oddly, that's one requirement that doesn't really apply in this case. Imagine a set of "pods" within a larger room. They look like giant dog houses with glass front doors. They will apparently be sprinkler-ed, since the room's sprinklers can't get water inside in case of fire, but they're being considered displays, so they don't have to have a fire rating. I have a strange job some days.

SceneryDriver

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Maybe, but what does that have to do with the topic? SceneryDriver is trying to do a NYC-code compliant design with some demanding requirements.

Thanks, zbang. That is indeed what I'm striving for. Don't feed the trolls. ;)

SceneryDriver

Status
Not open for further replies.