Inaccurate Home Depot Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I was curious to what they said in this video so I watched it. I am not really surprised but if a large company is going to produce any video it should be accurate.

At about the 43 second mark they say the size of the wire determines the voltage rating. Also at the 58 second mark they call out the hot wire that carries current. So does a neutral. You could argue this is being overly technical, but this is a video on electrical basics done by a giant corporation. At the least it should be technically correct, or not done at all. Its apparent that the people who made the video don't understand voltage and current themselves, yet they made a video on it.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You could argue this is being overly technical, but this is a video on electrical basics done by a giant corporation. At the least it should be technically correct, or not done at all.

Or not done at all. Really, if someone needs the kind of information in that video they have no business even touching anything electrical. HD is doing a disservice by encouraging those kinds of people which can lead to dangerous circumstances.

-Hal

James L

Occupation
Electrician
The info in that video is 90% irrelevant imo, because almost any average homeowner is gonna forget 90% as soon as the video is done.

The gauge corresponding to voltage issue was misspeak, for sure. But 99% if the time, Joe Homeowner just needs to know white goes on the neutral bar, black goes on the breaker, white on silver screws, black on gold screws, yada yada.

Honestly, imo, more important stuff is:
Which direction to wrap wires around screws
How to use a wire nut
How to use Romex staples and connectors

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Or not done at all. Really, if someone needs the kind of information in that video they have no business even touching anything electrical. HD is doing a disservice by encouraging those kinds of people which can lead to dangerous circumstances.

-Hal
Yes, stupidity and dangerous. But what do I know........

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I was curious to what they said in this video so I watched it. I am not really surprised but if a large company is going to produce any video it should be accurate.
I agree about the quality of the information (wrong) and I'm surprised that such a large company could allow this to be posted without being reviewed by an electrical professional.

480sparky

I agree about the quality of the information (wrong) and I'm surprised that such a large company could allow this to be posted without being reviewed by an electrical professional.

They guy who sits at a desk looking at catalogs and designs the store planograms probably was who they asked.

Brennyss

Occupation
student

-Hal
you're so right, it's really dangerous situation

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
A quick HD story.

They got started in MA in the 90s built stores all over. They were showing homeowners how to install sinks and toilets and the MA plumbing board went nuts over this.

At the time I had a gas fitters license. Well they drove a fork lift into a 1/2" gas pipe when the store was new and of course they smelled gas, they called the Gas co and they shut off the gas to the whole building they only had low pressure gas at that site so it was a huge 8" main. This store was in the Boston area.

So I got sent there to repair the gas pipe which was only 2' of new 1/2" pipe 1 elbow and a union. I fixed it went out to the meter and found the gas off and locked. Called the Gas co to turn it on and they wouldn't without a permit. We are allowed to do 10' of pipe or less with no pressure test (just soap bubble it) so I had to get a permit, he made me pressure test it

So 1 trip to look at it and fix it
1 trip to get the permit
1 trip for the inspection and pressure test
1 trip to go back with the gas co and relight the entire store.
2hour trip one way

so 12 hours of driving. I guess we made money on it!!

They were freaking out because with the gas off they had no emergency gen.

Inspector was connected to the plumbing board and he was very nice to me but no backing down on anything

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
A quick HD story.

They got started in MA in the 90s built stores all over. They were showing homeowners how to install sinks and toilets and the MA plumbing board went nuts over this.

At the time I had a gas fitters license. Well they drove a fork lift into a 1/2" gas pipe when the store was new and of course they smelled gas, they called the Gas co and they shut off the gas to the whole building they only had low pressure gas at that site so it was a huge 8" main. This store was in the Boston area.

So I got sent there to repair the gas pipe which was only 2' of new 1/2" pipe 1 elbow and a union. I fixed it went out to the meter and found the gas off and locked. Called the Gas co to turn it on and they wouldn't without a permit. We are allowed to do 10' of pipe or less with no pressure test (just soap bubble it) so I had to get a permit, he made me pressure test it

1 trip to get the permit
2hour trip one way

Inspector was connected to the plumbing board and he was very nice to me but no backing down on anything
Typical bureaucracy. I agree with the safety and precaution but a system should exist that all of that can be done in a day. They should be able to retroactively create the permit, inspect, and sign off on it in a day in situations like these. Perfect example of why people don't like to pull permits. They take a 2 hour job and make it 3 day job with little to no added value depending.

kwired

Electron manager
A quick HD story.

1 trip to get the permit
2hour trip one way

They probably have some how to videos on gas piping in their archives. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.