Incandescent/Halogen dimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Is it a violation to use a dimmer with LED lamps when it says it’s for incandescent and halogen?

I’m trying to find a wall mount dimmer that will control approximately 500 watts ( medium base LED lamps).

I can get a 1000 watt incandescent/ halogen dimmer that controls them satisfactorily but it doesn’t say for LED use.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Only violation would be going against mfg instructions/specs. You probably wouldn't get the desired dimming using a regular dimmer on LED though.
I'd have to look it up but I found an LED dimmer that would run several watts, Can't remember if it was 350W or 500W.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Just found it, it was for 450W. I had two circuits so that worked for me. If you could split up the 500W into two circuits, this dimmer would work.
P&S RHCL453PTCCCV6

nizak

I’m unable to divide the load in half.

Originally the exterior lighting was on 3 circuits .(residential application with a ridiculous amount of can soffit lights and coach lights)

The homeowner had another contractor come in and change all lamps to LED and reconfigure so all came on with 1 switch and are on 1 circuit.

Now they’re wanting to dim all lights together from one location.

I suggested they call back the Co. that did the work. I’m being told no one will get back with them.

I expect the other Co. just tied all the switch legs together at whatever point was easiest.

synchro

Occupation
EE
On the second page of the following they say the Leviton AWSMT-MCW can support a 750W LED load or a 1500W incandescent load on 120V. It's a forward phase dimmer.

ttps://www.leviton.com/en/docs/G-9437_Renoir_II_Dimmers_Spec_Sheet-FINAL.pdf

They also show the AWSMT-EBW which is a reverse phase dimmer and can support a 500W LED load. Reverse phase could be easier on LED loads because it turns on at the beginning of each 1/2 cycle near zero volts, instead of having a fast turn-on later in the cycle. And it may also provide better dimming behavior. But forward phase is commonly used with LEDs. It looks like you can still get the AWSMT-EBW, but the Leviton website says it's discontinued.

Status
Not open for further replies.