Incorrect Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark master

What I hate most. Going into a commerical facility, and they use incorrect plugs on 20 amp machines.

Today, I'm working on installing a used machine. I open the machine, and it's clearly a 120/240 volt with neutral & ground. No transformer in the machine. So I know it needs a neutral.
The plug on the machine is a 20amp, 3 phase twist lock, with using the 3rd phase as a neutral. But with #10 SJ cord. So right there, I know something is screwy.

I have no idea how these people don't blow themselves up.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
What I hate most. Going into a commerical facility, and they use incorrect plugs on 20 amp machines.

Today, I'm working on installing a used machine. I open the machine, and it's clearly a 120/240 volt with neutral & ground. No transformer in the machine. So I know it needs a neutral.
The plug on the machine is a 20amp, 3 phase twist lock, with using the 3rd phase as a neutral. But with #10 SJ cord. So right there, I know something is screwy.

I have no idea how these people don't blow themselves up.
Sound like they've got good luck.

Followup rant-
...when the trade show electricians change my plug for theirs because they do things their own way, then either don't put mine back or loose it completely. Into their toolbox, one could guess. This because they can't be bothered to have adapters for common configurations, like, say, an L14-20. Or even a 5-20 (no L). Sometimes I think I'd save my time by removing all the plugs that aren't 5-15's before the show and handing the electricians the bare ends. (Some trade show electricians are quite good, but there have been some that I wouldn't trust with a toaster.)

end of rant

spark master

Followup rant-
...when the trade show electricians change my plug for theirs because they do things their own way, then either don't put mine back or loose it completely. Into their toolbox, one could guess. This because they can't be bothered to have adapters for common configurations, like, say, an L14-20. Or even a 5-20 (no L). Sometimes I think I'd save my time by removing all the plugs that aren't 5-15's before the show and handing the electricians the bare ends. (Some trade show electricians are quite good, but there have been some that I wouldn't trust with a toaster.)
end of rant

They're not real electricians. They are extension cord jockies. And they screw in lightbulbs for a living. And if you dare touch your own light bulb, they get all fisty, and have a sissy fit.

It's so pathetic, we won't exhibit at the jacob javits any more.

bward

They're not real electricians. They are extension cord jockies. And they screw in lightbulbs for a living. And if you dare touch your own light bulb, they get all fisty, and have a sissy fit.

It's so pathetic, we won't exhibit at the jacob javits any more.

Ahh the Javitz center. I think I know the guy you're talking about. I had to explain to him how to mate a camlock connector that was coming from one of the venue's floor pockets. He didn't understand the 'cam' concept, so I explained that there's a little nub inside the boot that must line up properly. He stuck his finger in it to feel what I was talking about. Lucky I metered it before handing it to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.