Indirect Costs

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Guy I really need help with this as I beleive it's been skewing my prices. INterior renovation work only.

As I've stated before the two main things that are based on schedule/ job duration.

1. PM
  2. Foreman Non working time

For instance today I bid a interior renovation job in which I had 2,500 direct labor install hours.

It was a commercial renovation. 8,000 sq ft.

The specs called for the job to be 28 month durations.

So I figured a PM for about 2-3 hours a week average for the 28 months.
Also, figured my working foreman would not be working about 2 hours a day so I figured 2 hours a day for the 28 months.

The owner went along with it.

I don't think that is the right approach.

Shouldn't I some way try to figure out how ling we will be needed on the job???

Just because there is a given project schedule does not mean the electrical will be onsite that entire time, correct?

Thanks

Omid

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I think foreman's not working hours, should be based on the estimated working days. But on pm I would go with an average hours for the length of the project.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
For the nonworking ours for the supervision, I look at about one hour per person working under the foreman, but subject to change based on the complexity of the project. For simple, repetitive work, it would be less than that.
When there were more then 7 workers, the foreman would be completely nonworking per the union labor agreement.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
For the nonworking ours for the supervision, I look at about one hour per person working under the foreman, but subject to change based on the complexity of the project. For simple, repetitive work, it would be less than that.
When there were more then 7 workers, the foreman would be completely nonworking per the union labor agreement.
So if you had 3 men working under formen on average and generally speaking you'd have 3 hours day non working for foreman? Obviously as you said it's based on complexity of work?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I think foreman's not working hours, should be based on the estimated working days. But on pm I would go with an average hours for the length of the project.
It's is but the working days required compared to schedule GC provides is where my issue lies. Sometime the GC says the job is 8 months and I don't think I need to figure we'll be on job from day one to end but I don't know how to gauge how much time we'll spend onsite