Induction lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinglis

Induction lighting is still a fairly new technology as far as I know. They are talking of 100 000 hour lamp life (light output maintained for at least 80 000 hours), instant on like flourescent, cold weather starting capabilities and approximately half the energy consumption of metal halide for the same amount of light. The sales people I talked to about this lighting claim that a standard light meter will measure less foot candles after a conversion even though there seems to be as much light. They claim this is due to the type of light output? I'm wondering if it is as good as they claim or are there draw backs to real life installations?

Mr. Bill

I think that it's biggest downside is approximating the lumen output near end of life. That literature from Philips says to reduce lumen output by 35-40% due to phosphor degeneration. This lamp is also likely to last 20 years. Add a hefty dirt depreciation to your lighting calc since no one is going to touch the fixture for so long.

quogueelectric

induction lighting

induction lighting

jinglis said:
Induction lighting is still a fairly new technology as far as I know. They are talking of 100 000 hour lamp life (light output maintained for at least 80 000 hours), instant on like flourescent, cold weather starting capabilities and approximately half the energy consumption of metal halide for the same amount of light. The sales people I talked to about this lighting claim that a standard light meter will measure less foot candles after a conversion even though there seems to be as much light. They claim this is due to the type of light output? I'm wondering if it is as good as they claim or are there draw backs to real life installations?
I installed about a dozen hi hats with induction lighting elements they put out plenty of light I used them over a 4 story escalator stair way in a Macys by kennedy airport

rcwilson

Induction Lamp Ballast Life

Induction Lamp Ballast Life

We heard from the fixture salesman that the ballast life is only about 25,000 hours or some number a lot less than the lamp life. Kind of defeats the benefits of not having to change out bulbs for 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.