Induction to ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weisengle

A master electrician recently introduced me to a new term. that term is an "induction to ground". I have been cuaght completely off guard. I have never heard of "an induction to ground." Further, this condition was said to contribute to an serious undervoltage condition. I have no doubt a certain amount of induction exists in all electrical circuits. yet I have never had anyone tell me the induction in a circuit could result in a significant voltage drop, much less a serious voltage. I am talking a voltage in the range of 30%.

Anybody have any ideas on this condition?

Weisengle

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would say that you have been misled. I suppose that, speaking on a purely theoretical level, there will be some amount of both capacitance and inductance between any two conductive bodies in the universe. But the amounts are most often so small that is it not worth talking about. I checked my old college textbooks, and the circuit models of transmission lines (the types of circuits that are most likely to be impacted by impedance to ground) show series inductors and capacitors connected to ground. I doubt that ?inductance to ground? has any practical meaning. And if you have any circuit element (other than the intended load) that is giving you a 30% voltage drop, then something is seriously wrong.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
At a million volts inductive reactance can drop voltage. That is, as I am told, why DC is used at that level to tie grids together. There is a big DC line on the east side of Michigan.

So, as long as you stay below a few hundred thousand volts, you shouldn't have to worry much about it.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.