Industrial Eletrician Test Questions Needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am working on a Industrial Electrician entry level exam for my boss. I have plenty of NEC questions that dont apply to my test subject. I need to find more test questions. Here are some subjects that I need to find questions for. Any links, or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

*DC Motors
*Single Phase and Polyphase AC Motors
*Starters
*Overloads
*Three Phase Circuits
*Delta and Wye Connections
*Relays and Solenoids
*Arc Flash Safety
*Capacitors
*Inductance
*Timers

RHJohnson

Hello, I am working on a Industrial Electrician entry level exam for my boss. I have plenty of NEC questions that dont apply to my test subject.

Entry Level? If you get someone who is familar with all you listed, and the NEC, and offer an entry level job......watch out - he may be highly offended!

I never gave a test to an experienced journeyman, considered it an embarrassment to him - of course he can't know everything, and has not done everything. If I found he needed help he would get the help, attitude and willingness to learn and improve his skills was more important.

Let me add a little bit more. This may help. The test is for a entry level maintenance electrician in the industrial side of electrical. No residential, or commercial questions needed. This job is for a expirenced electricians.

RHJohnson

Let me add a little bit more. This may help. The test is for a entry level maintenance electrician in the industrial side of electrical. No residential, or commercial questions needed. This job is for a expirenced electricians.

I see, you wish to hire an experienced industrial electrician as an apprentice maintenance electrician. Make sure you advertize the job correctly so you do not waste the time of good journeymen electricians.

cadpoint

I would use your own terms and use the Index of the NEC.

If you do like defination see if MH has a correspond drawing on his host page, technical drawings I beleive.

Then if not happy with that then use your favorite search engine and your item with the word define and/or include electrical, "define electrical overloads"

You might get some odd answers like this if you don't: Overloads and overload principles which gives "weight training" 1st... :D

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think your boss has a really good idea here. Best to screen out those who have no real industrial maintenance experience upfront unless the company is willing to spend a year or two training the applicant.

The difference between a run of the mill electrician and an industrial maintainence electrician are substantial. Guys that have spent years as really good construction electricians are unlikely to be well suited for the task without additional training.

Buck Parrish

Hello, I am working on a Industrial Electrician entry level exam for my boss. I have plenty of NEC questions that dont apply to my test subject. I need to find more test questions. Here are some subjects that I need to find questions for. Any links, or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

*DC Motors
*Single Phase and Polyphase AC Motors
*Starters
*Overloads
*Three Phase Circuits
*Delta and Wye Connections
*Relays and Solenoids
*Arc Flash Safety
*Capacitors
*Inductance
*Timers

You should add "PLC"s and Schematics to your list.

gar

Occupation
EE
090120-1446 EST

How does the RPM of a shunt excited DC motor vary as a function of armature voltage, load torque, and field excitation?

How does the RPM of an induction motor vary as a function of input voltage, frequency, load torque, and rotor resistance?

How does a Simpson 260 meter read AC voltage? What is the significance of this method?

What does RMS mean? Why and when is it necessary to use an RMS meter?

Discuss the difference between a volt-ampere reading and a power reading and when is this important?

A wire is strung up in the air and has a normal Amprobe meter clipped around the wire. This wire is well insulated and there is nothing near it or the meter. It is at a potential of 25,000 V with 10 A flowing thru it. You have a telescope and are at a safe distance from this wire. Can you make a safe reading?

Describe how a straingage load cell works? Is this any different than a straingage torque transducer?

How is an LVDT constructed? And how does it work?

Ask them to draw at least one circuit for a two button anti-tie down function?

In a series circuit of a battery, switch, resistor, and inductor how does the current change following closure of the switch assuming the current was zero in the inductor at the time of closure? After steady-state is approximately reached what happens when the switch is opened? Next put a neon bulb with a series current limiting resistor in series with the neon bulb across the first resistor and inductor. Make the battery 120 V. What does the neon bulb display before switch closure, while closed, and after the switch opens? Why is the resistor needed with the neon bulb?

In a series circuit of a battery, switch, resistor, and capacitor. How does the current vary after closure of the switch and how does the capacitor voltage vary?

How does the RPM of a synchronous motor vary as a function of voltage, frequency, and torque? How does the power factor of a synchronous motor vary as field excitation is changed?

Provide a couple portions of a machine tool PLC diagram and ask for a discussion on what the logic does? Something with a holding contact from the coil, a transitional contact, and several series and parallel paths. Include labels and IO addresses for them to reference.

Describe the truth table for an exclusive OR function and ask for a relay contact circuit to perform this function.

Provide a data sheet for some particular timer and ask how to use this to perform an off delay function.

Provide some of the three phase circuits you mentioned and ask various question about these.

Take one of your control panels, create a problem in it, and have the applicant troubleshoot the problem. I see no problem with assisting the person with information with which they may not be familiar, but primarily this would be to evaluate how they would approach the problem.

Create questions from your own experience.

From your questions you want to discover whether the person has adequate background, can they learn on their own, do they have a driving interest in your type of work, can they tolerate pressure, can they grow in the job, can they work independently, can they contribute, or is their major interest to play cards in the shop during the week so they can get overtime on the weekend.

Watch how the person walks and the questions asked while you give a plant tour.

An entry level usually does not mean that that person will always be a bulb changer. Many CEOs started in the mailroom.

RHJohnson

090120-1446 EST

How does the RPM of a shunt excited DC motor vary as a function of armature voltage, load torque, and field excitation?
How does the RPM of an induction motor vary as a function of input voltage, frequency, load torque, and rotor resistance?
How does a Simpson 260 meter read AC voltage? What is the significance of this method?
What does RMS mean? Why and when is it necessary to use an RMS meter?

Discuss the difference between a volt-ampere reading and a power reading and when is this important?
A wire is strung up in the air and has a normal Amprobe meter clipped around the wire. This wire is well insulated and there is nothing near it or the meter. It is at a potential of 25,000 V with 10 A flowing thru it. You have a telescope and are at a safe distance from this wire. Can you make a safe reading?
Describe how a straingage load cell works? Is this any different than a straingage torque transducer?
How is an LVDT constructed? And how does it work?
Ask them to draw at least one circuit for a two button anti-tie down function?

In a series circuit of a battery, switch, resistor, and inductor how does the current change following closure of the switch assuming the current was zero in the inductor at the time of closure? After steady-state is approximately reached what happens when the switch is opened? Next put a neon bulb with a series current limiting resistor in series with the neon bulb across the first resistor and inductor. Make the battery 120 V. What does the neon bulb display before switch closure, while closed, and after the switch opens? Why is the resistor needed with the neon bulb?
In a series circuit of a battery, switch, resistor, and capacitor. How does the current vary after closure of the switch and how does the capacitor voltage vary?
How does the RPM of a synchronous motor vary as a function of voltage, frequency, and torque? How does the power factor of a synchronous motor vary as field excitation is changed?
Provide a couple portions of a machine tool PLC diagram and ask for a discussion on what the logic does? Something with a holding contact from the coil, a transitional contact, and several series and parallel paths. Include labels and IO addresses for them to reference.
Describe the truth table for an exclusive OR function and ask for a relay contact circuit to perform this function.
Provide a data sheet for some particular timer and ask how to use this to perform an off delay function.
Provide some of the three phase circuits you mentioned and ask various question about these.
Take one of your control panels, create a problem in it, and have the applicant troubleshoot the problem. I see no problem with assisting the person with information with which they may not be familiar, but primarily this would be to evaluate how they would approach the problem.
Create questions from your own experience.
From your questions you want to discover whether the person has adequate background, can they learn on their own, do they have a driving interest in your type of work, can they tolerate pressure, can they grow in the job, can they work independently, can they contribute, or is their major interest to play cards in the shop during the week so they can get overtime on the weekend.
Watch how the person walks and the questions asked while you give a plant tour.
An entry level usually does not mean that that person will always be a bulb changer. Many CEOs started in the mailroom. .

I repeat myself, it is "entry level". And this is planet earth..

Status
Not open for further replies.