Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Is "Working space" required?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jr2431

Occupation
Electric
And if I mount any panel In my home on wheels with a cord and plug I can now call it legal.
Perhaps someone can post Charlie’s rule, I don’t have a copy with me.
I found it and read it. Basically it sounds like you're saying if it's not in the code it's "Legal", but if OSHA decides it's not in this particular instance than it's up to them to decide....?

jr2431

Occupation
Electric
I don't believe you can just "call" OSHA and ask for such a decree. You can ask for it in writing though.
You can call and ask. They'll give you their "best" answer, but ultimately you need to file a complaint for them to inspect and make a final interpretation based on all the specific details of the particular equipment. I just got off the phone with OSHA and they said, just based on hearing it, if a panel is blocked and something needs to be moved (on wheels or not) in order to "shut off or maintenance" of electrical equipment, it sounds like it's at the least an OSHA violation as electricians need access for emergency circumstances. If I read "Charlie's rule" correctly based on the posts I've read, The statement was made, "If there is no direct code specifying something, it's then not in the code". So what IS specifically in the NFPA 79 is direct working space clearances for electrical equipment on industrial equipment. Nowhere does it state wheels make it exempt. Looking at it from a clear "newbie" first time reading it, that's what I'd assume too. If I'm missing something, please let me know. I'm looking for clear guides as to what IS in the code now that would specify it in better/more detail.

jr2431

Occupation
Electric
You can call and ask. They'll give you their "best" answer, but ultimately you need to file a complaint for them to inspect and make a final interpretation based on all the specific details of the particular equipment. I just got off the phone with OSHA and they said, just based on hearing it, if a panel is blocked and something needs to be moved (on wheels or not) in order to "shut off or maintenance" of electrical equipment, it sounds like it's at the least an OSHA violation as electricians need access for emergency circumstances. If I read "Charlie's rule" correctly based on the posts I've read, The statement was made, "If there is no direct code specifying something, it's then not in the code". So what IS specifically in the NFPA 79 is direct working space clearances for electrical equipment on industrial equipment. Nowhere does it state wheels make it exempt. Looking at it from a clear "newbie" first time reading it, that's what I'd assume too. If I'm missing something, please let me know. I'm looking for clear guides as to what IS in the code now that would specify it in better/more detail.
It does say by definition that an "Industrial machine" is something that's "Not portable by hand while working". This is the only thing to me in question.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
They have a specific section for "Industrial machinery" in the NEC which states...."For further information, see NFPA 79" or "For information on the workspace requirements for machine power and control equipment, see NFPA 79" . The NEC tells you to look there for those specific code requirements which list close to the same requirements as the NEC for workspace (besides a lot of the lower voltage control equipment. If we ignore the NEC for industrial equipment, we ignore the NFPA.
Show me a rule that specifically addresses work space requirements for cord and plug connected equipment.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I agree with Don, if it’s cord and plug connected it’s not under the scope of the NEC. Our inspectors won’t look at it if it’s unplugged, as far as OSHA, that’s not an area most of us here are familiar with

jr2431

Occupation
Electric
OSHA here is basically the governments form of the "safety mafia". They do not Enforce the code directly, but can use it as a source of reference to determine legality through their "General Duty" clause. I suppose that is why different states require different testing or requirements for licensing.

jr2431

Occupation
Electric
Show me a rule that specifically addresses work space requirements for cord and plug connected equipment.
Show me a place where...

"II. 600 Volts, Nominal, or Less 110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment. Access and working space shall be provided and maintained about all electrical equipment to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of such equipment."

is invalidated just because it's on a cord or plug.

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Show me a place where...

"II. 600 Volts, Nominal, or Less 110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment. Access and working space shall be provided and maintained about all electrical equipment to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of such equipment."

is invalidated just because it's on a cord or plug.
So do you need to provide clearance, per 110.26, for a submersible pump? How about for a fan motor internal to an air handler?

In my opinion if the device is being maintained while energized, 110.26 clearances are needed. If all maintenance occurs while the cord is unplugged, those clearances are not required.

jr2431

Occupation
Electric
So do you need to provide clearance, per 110.26, for a submersible pump? How about for a fan motor internal to an air handler?

In my opinion if the device is being maintained while energized, 110.26 clearances are needed. If all maintenance occurs while the cord is unplugged, those clearances are not required.

There is exceptions for particular equipment having specified workspace exemptions like

"620.5 Working Clearances. Working space shall be provided about controllers, disconnecting means, and other electrical equipment in accordance with 110.26(A). Where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons examine, adjust, service, and maintain the equipment, the clearance requirements of 110.26(A) shall not be required where any of the conditions in 620.5(A) through (D) are met.

Which is for any of the items listed in 620, but I see nothing but more defined clearances for industrial equipment through the NFPA 79.

I'd guess submersible pumps are designed and meant to be submerged so I'm completely unsure how that one would work at all. 🤷‍♂️

jr2431

Occupation
Electric
There is exceptions for particular equipment having specified workspace exemptions like

"620.5 Working Clearances. Working space shall be provided about controllers, disconnecting means, and other electrical equipment in accordance with 110.26(A). Where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons examine, adjust, service, and maintain the equipment, the clearance requirements of 110.26(A) shall not be required where any of the conditions in 620.5(A) through (D) are met.

Which is for any of the items listed in 620, but I see nothing but more defined clearances for industrial equipment through the NFPA 79.

I'd guess submersible pumps are designed and meant to be submerged so I'm completely unsure how that one would work at all. 🤷‍♂️

I don't have my copy of NFPA 79 on me, but will sort through it tonight to validate there isn't any exemptions I'm missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.