Information for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

bootsan

Where would you recommend a brand new person getting into the electrical field to begin. From the basics through the more advanced theories.

Thank-you in advance for your assistance.
Rob

highendtron

I don't know about anyone else, I got my start in the U.S. Navy (nuclear trained electronics tech). I got into an apprenticeship (IBEW 124) by accident. I also worked for one of the big three automobile manufactures.
I have seen good and bad electricians from all areas. Almost all the programs I have seen have had a mixture of good and bad. The Navy cost me six years. The IBEW was plagued with idiots and nepotism. The votechs had too many heroes. The auto companies had a slug of drones and a lot of restrictive work rules. I have instructed my son's to get college degrees and then to take an apprenticeship or position with contacts I have. Whatever they choose to do, will be on them. They would both make good electricians, but neither will make a great electrician unless that is what they want to do!
What options do you have?

bootsan

Thanks for the reply. I own a home inspection company and am really curious as to what the experienced electricians would recommend for reference material etc... I often refer to the NEC, but would like to have information that I can relay to my clients in terms they might understand better. I hope that made sense. I also like to have the information for myself to keep me well informed.

Thanks again for your reply.
Rob

electricalperson

some helpers i have decide they want to be an electrician, go to night school for license hours then try to get a job with an EC thats how a lot of kids start out. the class starts from the basics

wawireguy

I'd recommend joining a apprentice program. Union or non-union. Find out who's doing most of the work in your area. Could call a list of EC's from the phone book and ask them where they get thier apprentices. Going to school will help you in the long run. I hear BS from schooled electricians all the time how they think they know more than us non-schooled electricians. Of course they don't want to talk about code. Because they learned it in school. Rant aside, a apprenticeship program will serve you well in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.