Ingress Protection junction boxes in Class I Division 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

clinicalalarm

Class I Division 2, NEC does not forbid to install general purpose boxes if there is no arcing sparking equipment inside junction boxes.
Does NEC have anything against junction boxes with IP (ingress protection) marking or should it be NEMA boxes.
For instance NEC specifically states in 110.31 under the table 110.28 following
"Informational Note No. 2: Ingress protection (IP) ratings may be found in ANSI/IEC 60529, Degrees of Protection Provided by Enclosures. IP ratings are not a substitute for Enclosure Type ratings."

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Sometimes you can find boxes that are marked both ways. The NEMA type designation is pretty much obsolete, in favor of UL types. If a listed enclosure is required it would have to be listed to UL standards.

I don't recall exactly how the requirements in article 501 are stated. You would have to look and see what it actually says as far as what is required for an enclosure.

clinicalalarm

I am trying to apply Subsection 500.8(C)(6)(a)
Special Allowances.
500.8(C)(6)(a) General-Purpose Equipment. Fixed general-purpose equipment in Class I locations, other than fixed luminaires, that is acceptable for use in Class I, Division 2 locations shall not be required to be marked with the class, division, group, temperature class, or ambient temperature range.

I'd like to use a general purpose box with terminals only in Class I Div 2. The code does not require listed equipment acc. to mentioned subsection.
The supplier we use do not have NEMA boxes and I am wondering if IP classification would be good enough.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
They provision you cited does not allow you to use any general-purpose equipment in a Class 1 division 2 environment. It just exempts you from some of the marking requirements you would otherwise have to meet if some other provision allows you to use such equipment in that environment.

clinicalalarm

Possible wrong subsection, though 501.10(B)(4) "Boxes and Fittings" does not require using explosionproof boxes, except covered in 501.105(B)(2), 501.115(B)(1), and 501.150(B)(1). These subsections do not have any requirements if the box contains only terminals.
I cannot see where the code forbids use general purpose junction box if it contains terminals only.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Possible wrong subsection, though 501.10(B)(4) "Boxes and Fittings" does not require using explosionproof boxes, except covered in 501.105(B)(2), 501.115(B)(1), and 501.150(B)(1). These subsections do not have any requirements if the box contains only terminals.
I cannot see where the code forbids use general purpose junction box if it contains terminals only.
It doesn't. See Section 90.5. Chapter 5 may (or may not) supplement or modify the requirements of Chapters 1 through 7. Without a specific requirement, such as you noted from 501.10(B)(4), boxes and fittings only need to be suitable for the conditions that would otherwise be required by the rest of the Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.