Inground Pool Bonding Mystery

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Meter is a Fluke 117. On LoZ/Auto function voltage is at 0.0
When switched from Auto to Manual, if LoZ function is switched off, my Milwaukee HVAC meter values float (+-)1.5V

Metering the performance difference of fractions of a volt would be beyond any of my testers, even on LowZ function.

david

I tried isolating each circuit to the pool individually by disconnecting all of the conductors at the panel but the voltage still remains. I haven’t been able to make it disappear even if I shut the power off at the main service panel breaker.

Power from the utility company comes overhead. No high voltage lines in my area. Nearest neighbor is a few acres away in a heavily wooded area.
There is a lot of reading here so it might have gotten missed. With your power off did anyone disconnect or isolate your neutral from the utility system
If not with your power off and your neutral disconnected does the current issue go away.

My comcast stopped working last summer the cable tech. Game out disconnected there bond from the cable system to my neutral and the cable TV started working again.

The real issue was the service drop had a loose connection to my neutral. I had no other indication that the connection was loose.

If your neutral is compromised it should be a qualified individual to check the connection

david

There is a lot of reading here so it might have gotten missed. With your power off did anyone disconnect or isolate your neutral from the utility system
If not with your power off and your neutral disconnected does the current issue go away.

My comcast stopped working last summer the cable tech. Game out disconnected there bond from the cable system to my neutral and the cable TV started working again.

The real issue was the service drop had a loose connection to my neutral. I had no other indication that the connection was loose.

If your neutral is compromised it should be a qualified individual to check the connection
It's not just good enough to make sure the connection is tight
Your also testing to see if current is using your neutral to get back to the utility system
If you isolate yourself from the utility and the voltage goes away you need to determine if it's your neutral that is compromised or if current from somewhere else is using your nuetral.

If you are totally isolated from the utility and the voltage dosnt go away than your back to stray voltages passing through your property.

david

Personally I would never connect the EP bonding to the panel grounding even though allowed but not mandated, as it can be a source for adding Voltage to the EP Bonding that might otherwise not be there.
I used to think that , is there a significant difference between doing that and the other option of bonding it to 12 awg equipment ground?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Personally I would never connect the EP bonding to the panel grounding even though allowed but not mandated, as it can be a source for adding Voltage to the EP Bonding that might otherwise not be there.

I used to think that , is there a significant difference between doing that and the other option of bonding it to 12 awg equipment ground?

If there is a pump that needs an EGC, you're going to be connected to the system anyway from the bonding.

david

If it's double insulated guys are starting to just run the # 8 to the pool distrubtion eguipment ground. And not bond to the equipment ground at the pump.

The #8 tail is still run to the pump location as required

I was asking since it has to bond to the # 12 eguipment ground is there a significant diferance in running the # 8 to the pool panel

Rjryan

Occupation
Master Electrician
NFPA 70-2023 NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE
TIA LOG NO.: 1687
REFERENCE: Definition of Pool, and 680.26
Comment Closing Date: February 15, 2023

There was an effort by CMP 17 To pass an Emergency Tentative Amendment to modify Article 680.26 Equipotential Bonding after the
NEC 2023 was released.
Among the changes, it would eliminate the single #8 grounding loop for equipotential bonding because it is ineffective.
If you have this equipotential bonding, which I believe you have by what you stated, this could be your problem.