Inground swimming pool with bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronbannon

I was hoping to get some feed back on this senario.
I have a pool with a swim up bar, it is in a residance on one end of the pool they put on a bar with the bar area in the pool there is a dishwasher and a refridge in that area they are on gfi but well with in 10 feet of water line acctually 5 foot from edge of water. also below the water line. There is also a fan and a few lights above that area. In 680 it talks about outlets not closer than 10 feet and lights need to be 12 feet above water line so I falled the installation. also keep in mind that this is not an existing pool or structure.
Now I would not like to be the one down in the bar area with wet feet and do dishes or go into fridge. Just trying to get some feed back from others in the field.

Jim W in Tampa

ronbannon said:
I was hoping to get some feed back on this senario.
I have a pool with a swim up bar, it is in a residance on one end of the pool they put on a bar with the bar area in the pool there is a dishwasher and a refridge in that area they are on gfi but well with in 10 feet of water line acctually 5 foot from edge of water. also below the water line. There is also a fan and a few lights above that area. In 680 it talks about outlets not closer than 10 feet and lights need to be 12 feet above water line so I falled the installation. also keep in mind that this is not an existing pool or structure.
Now I would not like to be the one down in the bar area with wet feet and do dishes or go into fridge. Just trying to get some feed back from others in the field.

You saved some drunken nut from killing himself.What EC would even have wired this ?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Jim W in Tampa said:
You saved some drunken nut from killing himself.What EC would even have wired this ?

Yes, but I fear the drunken nut will drown himself instead. :cry:

The good news is he may be a good canidate for the darwin awards :)

benaround

My feedback would be to make the EC do the work to code. Red tag the job,

advise the HO in writing of the dangers of the situation should they decide

to 'power up' the install.

Jim W in Tampa

Scary part is they will likely just remove the receptacles and frig untill they pass final and then put them back.I would send the owner a nice letter exsplaining the hazard and warn him that the letter and red tag are on file.In the event they ignore this and there is a death they could and should be up for murder.There are plenty of safe ways to keep that beer cold without electric .

JohnE

You made the right call IMO. Their electrician should know the requirements and have advised the customer of the non compliance of their design. Also should not have done the install.

ronbannon

mpd said:
is this pool at final inspection?

Its not in final stage the ec acctually called it in for a rough inspect with out permits for that section. Told to draw and apply for permit so it could get plan review. Shared code cites and he still drew it that way.

ronbannon

stickboy1375 said:
I wonder if the owners even care? The best way to keep beer from getting warm is to drink it fast!

The home owner dosent care that is scarry. I suppose that is why there should be inspections.

ronbannon

Jim W in Tampa said:
Scary part is they will likely just remove the receptacles and frig untill they pass final and then put them back.I would send the owner a nice letter exsplaining the hazard and warn him that the letter and red tag are on file.In the event they ignore this and there is a death they could and should be up for murder.There are plenty of safe ways to keep that beer cold without electric .

Yes I believe your right once this gets somewhat straight as home owner dosent care. I will document all and take pictures. Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.