Input circuit breaker of single phase 230 v 50 Hz panel board assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan Hasan

Which type of circuit breaker shall be used for Input circuit breaker of single phase (230 v, 50 Hz, 25 amp) panel board assembly 2poles (1+N) MCCB or 1 pole MCB?

jumper

Either would be acceptable by the NEC, although a single pole is more common in my experience.

You cannot fuse the neutral, but you can put it on a breaker with its ungrounded conductor in a circuit.

fmtjfw

please, which section in NEC cover this topic? thank you

Rules for opening the grounded conductor:

240.22 Grounded Conductor. No overcurrent device shall be connected in series with any conductor that is intentionally grounded, unless one of the following two conditions is met:
(1) The overcurrent device opens all conductors of the circuit, including the grounded conductor, and is designed so that no pole can operate independently.
(2) Where required by 430.36 or 430.37 for motor overload protection.

514.11 Circuit Disconnects.
(A) General. Each circuit leading to or through dispensing equipment, including all associated power, communications, data, and video circuits, and equipment for remote pumping systems, shall be provided with a clearly identified and readily accessible switch or other approved means, located remote from the dispensing devices, to disconnect simultaneously from the source of supply, all conductors of the circuits, including the grounded conductor, if any.

Single-pole breakers utilizing handle ties shall not be permitted.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The NEC (National Electric Code, as in USA National) would not apply anyplace where you have 50Hz power and 230V line to neutral.

IEC electrical code requirements differ with regard to whether or not you must or cannot switch the neutral, depending on the type of power distribution system you have with regard to grounding (earthing) of the incoming power from the grid (network). This is a subject best addressed by someone in YOUR country who is familiar with YOUR codes. We are primarily US based with some Canadians because their Code (CEC) is almost identical to ours, then there are a few Brits, Aussies and Kiwis who lurk here because of the (relatively) common language and industry. But even though they may be more familiar with IEC codes in general, the exact answer I think will be specific to your country.

You might try posting in this other forum, there are a lot more Engineers from your part of the world who lurk there.

Last edited:

fmtjfw

The NEC (National Electric Code, as in USA National) would not apply anyplace where you have 50Hz power and 230V line to neutral.

IEC electrical code requirements differ with regard to whether or not you must or cannot switch the neutral, depending on the type of power distribution system you have with regard to grounding (earthing) of the incoming power from the grid (network). This is a subject best addressed by someone in YOUR country who is familiar with YOUR codes. We are primarily US based with some Canadians because their Code (CEC) is almost identical to ours, then there are a few Brits, Aussies and Kiwis who lurk here because of the (relatively) common language and industry. But even though they may be more familiar with IEC codes in general, the exact answer I think will be specific to your country.

You might try posting in this other forum, there are a lot more Engineers from your part of the world who lurk there.

Unless it is a US installation in a foreign country that applies the NEC to their installations. Or a place that has adopted the NEC.:cool:

Besoeker

Which type of circuit breaker shall be used for Input circuit breaker of single phase (230 v, 50 Hz, 25 amp) panel board assembly 2poles (1+N) MCCB or 1 pole MCB?
I don't know of any rule that dictates either. For us it is usually specified by the customer at the bid stage.
If it is left to us to make the selection I'd generally offer a two pole MCB. It's a little more expensive but still for us about $6US. For downstream I'd use single pole.

Adnan Hasan

actually, in my country, some time we follow BS or IEC and some time NEC depend on the agreement between the contractor and the government.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
what is the meaning of handle ties?
It's a breaker accessory that bridges the operating handles of two or three single-pole breakers. When installed, they provide simultaneous manual operation of the bridged breakers. They do not guarantee simultaneous trip operation (i.e. common trip).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.