Inside wireman wants to expand his knowledge base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've never been a lineman so I know very little about the distribution system before the service point. Is there a book, website, or other resource I can read that will enlighten me? Specifically, I often look up at the wires and wonder what voltages they are. There's probably a way to tell from the spacing or size of the insulators. I'd also like to understand what's going on in the small neighborhood substations. I see a lot of weird looking stuff in there.

JFletcher

Ask a lineman. most are all too happy to talk to someone interested in their work at 2am. last time i talked to one in my neighborhood was around that time. learned how the poles were marked, what size primary fuses were in there (75A), and line voltage (20kv, or 19920v). Yes, a little disconcerting to learn we had 34,900V overhead. He told me that many PoCo's consider that distribution voltage and i suppose there are specially trained persons to work on it. Supposedly his bucket truck is insulated to 100kV, and his hot stick the same.

MyCleveland

Coppersmith

You have distributors you work with ?
Many have MV guys that specialize in this type of equipment, some even provide design build services. They design it, you build it.

I am sure a few phone calls will find your guy, who also can give you names of ten guys who install.

kwired

Electron manager
I've never been a lineman so I know very little about the distribution system before the service point. Is there a book, website, or other resource I can read that will enlighten me? Specifically, I often look up at the wires and wonder what voltages they are. There's probably a way to tell from the spacing or size of the insulators. I'd also like to understand what's going on in the small neighborhood substations. I see a lot of weird looking stuff in there.
Spacing or size of insulators can tell you what the maximum voltage might be. I have seen existing transmission get converted to local distribution at a lower voltage when a new substation was built along the same path the transmission line was on, cost less to use it as is then to rebuild to a lower rating.

This was of course a sub that was at end of the line serving small village and rural areas. Loss of transmission line - close switches in local distribution to get power from another sub via the local distribution lines.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
The height of tower (pylon) pretty much dictates the voltage that is carried by the tower.

The tallest in the world can be found in China ...towering at 370 meters and carrying 500 kv.

There is one tower in Illinois considered tall in the US but a far cry from those in Europe...Russia in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.