Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

Does it actually say anywhere in the nec that you need to have cover plates installed to pass an inspection id like to get an inspection done but the painters didn't even start yet so I was wondering if I would pass inspection without the cover plates and it got me thinking because I don't remember ever seeing a code saying they need to be installed

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

growler

Does it actually say anywhere in the nec that you need to have cover plates installed to pass an inspection id like to get an inspection done but the painters didn't even start yet so I was wondering if I would pass inspection without the cover plates and it got me thinking because I don't remember ever seeing a code saying they need to be installed

It just depends on the inspector. I have gotten a final without cover plates but the inspector could require that they be installed.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I've been failed because the 'effin painters took the plates off.....and didn't put them back on....:rant:~RJ~

nickelec

But it's specifically written code that plates are needed I mean we can let inspectors just make up code

480sparky

Would you purposely leave covers off jboxes and expect to pass a final? Neither would I. Plates on or don’t call.

Some inspectors think they have to find something to call you on, no matter how trivial it is. Years ago I had one like that. I'd leave a 1900 cover off here or there just as an easter egg for him. The cover would be hanging on the box to one side, with one screw. He'd comment on it, saying it needs to be buttoned up.

Or I'd install one receptacle that wouldn't be tight on the wall and wiggle when he pushed in his tester. Or mis-wire a 3-way so the light wouldn't come back on. Literally, an intentional error that would be known to be quick and easy to correct.

Otherwise, he'd start making things up, regardless of how 'perfect' the install was.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Nick the code does not specifically say that plates must be on but I believe 110.3 requires the system to be complete. Again if all the plates are off there is a good chance you may fail but if some are off because the painters are working in a room then they may let it slide

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There is 404.9 and 406.6 an inspector could use, they could not check for compliance if they were not installed.

Roger

eds

Put them on, call for your inspection.If the painters haven't started yet, they can take them off and then put them back on. That's what they would do if you weren't involved in the job.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
When you call for a finish inspection the work should be finished. Without plates the inspector would not be able to tell if there was a gap, the plate didn't cover the cutout, the receptacle was loose, etc.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.