inspections When?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinesgt0411

At what stage of construction do I call for inspections

rough inspection, low voltage inspection, or is it low volage rough inspection. final rough final trim final final CO how do I determine when to call what I consider rough the inspector may consider final or trim and what I consider final or trim the inspector may consider rough

if I have some of it completed can I get partials, or am I going to tick off the inspector.

physis

Re: inspections When?

The rough inspection needs to be done before walls go up. Or possibly for other reasons where the installation will get buried and become uninspectable.

There have been times when I've needed only a particular area to be inspected but there was plenty of job left and the building department has been accomidating in every case.

marinesgt0411

It has just been bothering me that I may take a job to far or not far enough before I call for inspections and was just wondering if there is a definate cutoff as to which stage I need a inspection

for instance do i need to have the boxes and conduits above a drop ceiling inspected before I drop in and wire the 2x4 layins or can i wait to just before the ceiling tiles are installed

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Originally posted by jimwalker:
What exactly are you installing? did you pull a permit ?
Why would anyone call for an inspection if they didn't pull a permit.

Marinesgt0411, We call for inspections pretty much as described by Physis. Partials are part of the job progress and are the norm, but they have to be a decent part of an area, in otherwords, not just one wall of a room. (unless it plays a big role in the flow of the job)

Roger

jimwalker

That all depends on what your installing and where.Some now require permits for low volt lights.If it's just data you probably do not need a permit or inspection.Check with your loacal ahj

marinesgt0411

rodger you mean like if I finish a firewall and they need to close it up I can get just the firewall inspected and then later get the rest of the ruogh inspected.

I do not know if the inspector was just pulling my leg or what. but I just got the rest of my rough inspection done and was in the prosess of triming out recess cans and layins in the drop ceiling. the inspector said why are you triming out before you even had your rough done?

I passed but it bothered me.

jimwalker

Partials are normal in commercial,never got any on residential.Perhaps a wall inspection or ceiling inspection or a floor.Dought they will want to visit you every day.

marinesgt0411

I do not pull permits.

I work for a very large company and all permits are pulled by my bosses.

I am the supervisor on the job.the project manager deals with the G.C., Owner, permits,getting me the help and material I need. I do the work he takes all the glory, or blame. he reports to the region manager. who reports to the president of the company.

My job title is service technician.
I am very new at running jobs.
most of the time what I do does not require a permit.so I am unfamiliar with the procedures.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Originally posted by marinesgt0411:
rodger you mean like if I finish a firewall and they need to close it up I can get just the firewall inspected and then later get the rest of the ruogh inspected.
That would be a good example of what I was saying.

I do not know if the inspector was just pulling my leg or what. but I just got the rest of my rough inspection done and was in the prosess of triming out recess cans and layins in the drop ceiling. the inspector said why are you triming out before you even had your rough done?

I passed but it bothered me.
It sounds as though he was joking with you, and is probably a good guy. :)

Roger

marinesgt0411

I passed my journeymans test 6 years ago.

I passed my level 1 fire alarm test 5 years ago.

have been to the OSHA 48 hr course.

I have been to seminares on fire protection and fire walls.

but like I said a lot of this is new to me

I am working on a dental office that the architect, designer, owner and dental equipment provider can not agree on. I have a set of prints from each one and none of them agree. I have a stack of change orders and RFI's.

I do not need a lot of would of, could of, should of. that is why I asked the question here.

I appoligize lately I get steamed real easy.

thank you for your answers they are a real help

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I am working on a dental office that the architect, designer, owner and dental equipment provider can not agree on. I have a set of prints from each one and none of them agree. I have a stack of change orders and RFI's.

Not meaning to be a smart a--, but every dental office I have done (many) is exactly as you have just posted and is not a "normal" job situation.

Don't let it get you down or flustered. (is that a word? ;) )

Roger

electricmanscott

Originally posted by roger:
Why would anyone call for an inspection if they didn't pull a permit.
Roger
Maybe they were really busy and had alot of jobs going and they thought they pulled the permit but they really didn't and then when I (I mean they) called the inspector... :(

paul

most of the time what I do does not require a permit.so I am unfamiliar with the procedures.
If you alter or add a circuit, then you MUST pull a permit. End of story.

physis

In an industrial setting I don't know what the rule is, if any. The peolpe I've worked with on indudustrial always had the same answer, "it depends". Whatever that means. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.