Inspections

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Wouldn't you need the NEC handy to not have to say "I know it's in there somewhere." and be able to cite the article?

How do you write up a non-compliance? You can't just say "We always call on that."

Sorry guess I could have said that I can always get mine. I always have one in the truck, one on my desk (actually I have 3 on my desk 2002, 2005, 2008) and one in my briefcase.

I would say that 50% of the time a contractor or electrician has the code book they usually have the handbook with them.
For NY, we use two different code cycles, depending on the type of work we are looking at. It is fun to see which version they will have...'02 '05 '08

It doesn't matter, I always use the Pierre Belarge version of the NEC anyway!!! ;):cool::grin:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I have just read this thread, very nice discussion between responsible electricians and responsible inspectors. Very refreshing. And yes, my well worn 05 Handbook is always close.

220/221

I just carry an unmarked envelope :cool:

Seriously though, I just carry a screwdriver to open anything in question. Then I start talking to him, asking about anything non work related.

I'm older so I never have inspection problems if I am on site. They just assume I know what I am doing :roll:

Some of the younger guys get taken advantage of and end up reworking things that don't need to be reworked.

I just carry an unmarked envelope :cool:
LOL - I spit my coffee out when I read that. If you need any inspections, give me a call

Seriously though, I just carry a screwdriver to open anything in question. Then I start talking to him, asking about anything non work related.
Is this your envelope opener?;)
I'm older so I never have inspection problems if I am on site. They just assume I know what I am doing :roll:
The wheel chair always gets me.

Some of the younger guys get taken advantage of and end up reworking things that don't need to be reworked.

Sombody has to listen to Pierre Belarge's NEC code babbling....

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
When a inspector comes to the job either rough or final what do you guys carry with you. I have always carry a pen and a pad something to write on, and maybe a screwdriver and tester. I was told to never carry the code book, Is this a good practice.

i have the prints, the permit card, a notepad, and a pen.

if it's any amount of work at all, i call for a courtesy inspection, or show up
at the counter during the time when the inspector is available.

i describe the scope of work, and what my plan is, and i ask him what he would
like to see. if he's poopy, he will give a lame answer, like "everything done per the
NEC".

that tells me what i need to know about his attitude. :p

usually what happens, is we have a brief discussion about means and methods,
and what he likes to see... every inspector has his hot buttons...

with one, he has to have the neutrals on MWBC's identified with the circuits
they serve, preferably with printed labels, not the book version.

another will want to lift the neutral, and apply the "neutral fault test" which
i have whined about here before...:D

another simply WILL NOT accept a plaster ring unless it's absolutely flush with
the finished wall surface. i know the code specifies an allowable mismatch. it
doesn't matter... not if you want his name on your ticket.

another one want's tube protectors on chain hung lights, even tho they are
10' in the air. no code requirements for that. it doesn't matter.

i get all that stuff ironed out, and go do the work. when i call for inspection,
we're just going over stuff we have already gone over. smile, nod, shake hands,
etc. if i haven't laid the groundwork well enough for that to happen,
then i've screwed up. that's my fault.

best inspection i ever had was a bank of america in northern california i was
doing a remodel on. after the courtesy inspection, and the inspector and i had
spent half an hour walking the job, with a detailed description of what i was
going to do, he just signed off the ticket, and said have a nice day... never did
see him after that... :smile:

something i have noticed recently. i purchased an ideal suretest, and i offer that
if he want's to check outlets... there's no lying with one of those, and he checked
a couple outlets, and asked me if they were all good, and i said yes, and that was that.

professionalism is profitable.

randy

Last edited:

220/221

All kidding aside, I have had people tell me they have bought inspectors for $50 or a bottle of scotch.

I wired some condos in the early 80's. The inspector mentioned that, as a side business, he made/sold engraved panel/address labels for like 3 bucks each.

I think the total bill was under $100 and I never saw him again and I never saw a red tag. We are fortunate here and the inspectors generally don't hound us like they could.

Buck Parrish

I make sure every thing is right. Then I leave and tell them where the key is. If they need me they have my cell phone number.:wink:
I have got to make production.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
All kidding aside, I have had people tell me they have bought inspectors for $50 or a bottle of scotch.

Here we have an agreed price of $2.5M and dicker up accordingly. One guy said that's a lot of money, this is only a $100,000 job. I told him it would probably be cheaper to just do the job right.:D:D

ONLY JOKING!

480sparky

The only thing I have ever carried around during an inspection is a screwdriver to open something up so the inpsector can lay eyes on the innards of whatever it is. I feel my job is to create a final product that is painfully code-compliant, not iffy and open to interpretation. If I have a situation that is, I call the inspector first to clarify what to do.

If there's a Code problem, we wait until the end, then head out to the truck. I carry both a looseleaf and a laptop in the van.

It's rare that I actually have to drag out a codebook. If I do, it's to, shall we say, educate the inspector.

Most inspectors I work with already have a "Passed" tag made out before they roll up to the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.