inspector joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
the question is: many AHJ's require a ground rod at the base of the concrete ballards. (for lighting poles) is this what we would call a supplemental requirement or just local ordinance? what is the code reference for this. are we calling the concrete a structure? for which the light is being mounted on?

Last edited:

user 100

the question is: many AHJ's require a ground rod at the base of the concrete ballards. is this what we would call a supplemental requirement or just local ordinance? what is the code reference for this. are we calling the concrete a structure? for which the light is being mounted on?

See 250.32 (A).....

With that said, Im not sure in this instance- I mean, a pole is considered a structure. Much brighter minds here will have to interject about the technical definitions/interpretations of a structure.

A reliable egc is far more important than pounding a rod, and on top of that, the rebar in the sidewalk would make a better GE than a rod anyway.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
the question is: many AHJ's require a ground rod at the base of the concrete ballards. (for lighting poles) is this what we would call a supplemental requirement or just local ordinance? what is the code reference for this. are we calling the concrete a structure? for which the light is being mounted on?

It would be an auxiliary electrode not a supplemental electrode according to the NEC. You can install as many auxiliary electrodes as you like or none at all.

See 250.32 (A).....

With that said, Im not sure in this instance- I mean, a pole is considered a structure. Much brighter minds here will have to interject about the technical definitions/interpretations of a structure.

A reliable egc is far more important than pounding a rod, and on top of that, the rebar in the sidewalk would make a better GE than a rod anyway.

Even if it is a structure, there is still not a GE required unless it is supplied by a feeder.

kwired

Electron manager
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

bingo

Even if it is a structure, there is still not a GE required unless it is supplied by a feeder.

and if you put one there it is simply a supplemental electrode.

If you have under 25 foot pole, you might not have much of a base, but base still is likely a better electrode then a single rod. If you have 100 foot tall pole - your base is definitely a better electrode then a single rod.

The "dirt worshipers" have been mentioned recently in a few other threads.

user 100

It would be an auxiliary electrode not a supplemental electrode according to the NEC. You can install as many auxiliary electrodes as you like or none at all.

:slaphead::slaphead:

I see it now..... was thinking about something else entirely.:dunce:

OP: these auxiliary electrodes referenced by Infinity are listed in 250.54, and no, they are not required, just permitted- and disregard my original post a few replies above.

The "dirt worshipers" have been mentioned recently in a few other threads.

The dirt worshipers can be squashed with this:

(1)Get one of them to the disconnect the GEC from a rod, and then create a deliberate dead short to the rod with a hot run straight from a breaker in the panel- they will see the breaker won't trip and there is now 120v on that rod.

(2)Then get them to do the same thing with the hot touching a tail from the ground bar or noodle bus- they see breaker opens instantly, 120v on nothing...

(3)Then ask them again about the effectiveness of a rod when it comes to clearing a fault.:D

The old golden rule about current always trying to return to its source is proven physics, and why they think fault current is different and would need a less than optimum path is beyond me.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The dirt worshipers can be squashed with this:

(1)Get one of them to the disconnect the GEC from a rod, and then create a deliberate dead short to the rod with a hot run straight from a breaker in the panel- they will see the breaker won't trip and there is now 120v on that rod.

(2)Then get them to do the same thing with the hot touching a tail from the ground bar or noodle bus- they see breaker opens instantly, 120v on nothing...

(3)Then ask them again about the effectiveness of a rod when it comes to clearing a fault.:D

The old golden rule about current always trying to return to its source is proven physics, and why they think fault current is different and would need a less than optimum path is beyond me.
Please have them don the proper PPE first. :happyyes:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I don't require one, but I see it a lot when the engineers are from the Midwest.

Guilty as charged.

I don't see that. 250.32(A) says "feeder or branch circuit(s)...." What am I missing?

Auxiliary is probably the correct term.:ashamed1:

I don't see that either.

I have no doubt a ground rod does nothing, but I always thought it is required by code.

kwired

Electron manager
Guilty as charged.

I don't see that. 250.32(A) says "feeder or branch circuit(s)...." What am I missing?

I don't see that either.

I have no doubt a ground rod does nothing, but I always thought it is required by code.
Read the exception that follows 250.30(A)

kwired

Electron manager
I'm confused, I thought we were talking about referencing the circuit bonding conductor to ground at light poles. Isn't that exception talking about referencing a neutral conductor?

NEC wants a grounding electrode system at each structure, the exception is saying if the structure is supplied by a branch circuit this is not necessary. It does go on to say there must be an equipment grounding conductor - but that is required elsewhere anyway.

Again reality is that most concrete base poles already have better electrode in the base itself then a single rod will provide.

oldsparky52

NEC wants a grounding electrode system at each structure, the exception is saying if the structure is supplied by a branch circuit this is not necessary. It does go on to say there must be an equipment grounding conductor - but that is required elsewhere anyway.

Again reality is that most concrete base poles already have better electrode in the base itself then a single rod will provide.

I'm not arguing against what you posted other than I don't understand why you mentioned the exception you did when it seems to be addressing something different than what the discussion was about. :confused:

kwired

Electron manager
I honestly feel contents of 250.32 probably should be in part III instead of part II, and that is maybe what your confusion is based on as well?

Yeah its frustrating two fold: first is just the over emphasis on dirting things thinking it will do a bunch of good, and second is putting in a rod when the thing itself is already dirted. My rant on the fence grounding in the grounding v bonding section is a prime example. Fine, you want an electrode at the lamp post, let us just grab the rebar in the base...

Status
Not open for further replies.