Inspectors... again... ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
AFAIK he is correct on needing to bond both ends if it is a ferrous conduit. If you don't it turns into an inductor when carrying current. The idea is to keep impedance as low as possible.
Code requires the bonding to both ends of the ferrous conduit for a GEC, which may have to carry lighning related high amplitude, high frequency current without developing a high offset voltage.
There would also be a problem with unbalanced current carrying wires in a ferrous conduit, but bonding is not an option there.
But the OP is talking about a gas pipe bonding conductor. There is a potential safety issue for lighting induced voltages, but the conductor is not part of the GES, and not covered by the specific Code requirements for a GEC.
The bonding is a good idea, but not required.

kwired

Electron manager
Code requires the bonding to both ends of the ferrous conduit for a GEC, which may have to carry lighning related high amplitude, high frequency current without developing a high offset voltage.
There would also be a problem with unbalanced current carrying wires in a ferrous conduit, but bonding is not an option there.
But the OP is talking about a gas pipe bonding conductor. There is a potential safety issue for lighting induced voltages, but the conductor is not part of the GES, and not covered by the specific Code requirements for a GEC.
I can see it being more critical for the GEC application than other applications where such high frequency can more likely be a factor.

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
Me too. Everyone named Karen that I know is really nice. I have no idea how that name got derailed.
A name or word only becomes taboo when politically correct people successfully censor it and force everyone else to comply or else they will be censored too. For example, what I'm saying right now someone will want to censor. If everyone just ignored the people who want to censor the name Karen, then it would cease to be offensive.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
As Rob pointed out in post #39, if you have a metal water piping system in the house, even one that is not an electrode because the underground piping is plastic, then the bonding jumper to it is required to comply with 250.64(E), per 250.104(A)(1). Whereas for the metal gas piping system, 250.104(B) does not require that.

So in this case, the OP and the inspector are each half right.

Cheers, Wayne

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
A name or word only becomes taboo when politically correct people successfully censor it and force everyone else to comply or else they will be censored too. For example, what I'm saying right now someone will want to censor. If everyone just ignored the people who want to censor the name Karen, then it would cease to be offensive.
I'm not sure what you are saying, but if I were named Karen I would take exception to my name being used as a pejorative.

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
I'm not sure what you are saying, but if I were named Karen I would take exception to my name being used as a pejorative.
It's ok, I don't really know what I'm saying half the time either. I just thank God I'm in a country where I can say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.