Instalation Methods Myers Hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

killer76

Well I have this question I have been told that when making a penetration in a building that a Myers hub is required, by code

The buildings are in a classified area, exterior C1 D2 the building is gp interior protected by pressurization

I have always used a hub at the location were entry, however in some cases this is not possible,

I included boundary seals however on this application the electricians did not use a hub at a penetration do to installation restriction,

A conduit seal is adjacent to the wall within 18" the conduit was sealed with silicon at the point of entry to seal from elements.

The building walls are a steel fabrication of 3" wide walls with an inside wall skin, a conduit nipple was installed through the wall and secured to the inside by means of a lock ring inside a pull box

I have had this debate before and the code indicates that no fitting shall be used at a boundary when changing between classifications,

However I have had some customers in some cases preferred the hub it is usually a matter of choice, so I will include this as a standard installation method

Can someone tell me were in the code is indicates that a Myers Hub is required at a penetration

This customer is threaten to hold pay unless changes are made or proof that this is not a code requirement

Thanks

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
While a very common practice, the use of a hub at the penetration where the wall is a classified area boundry is a code violation as that places a fitting between the boundry and the seal. I am not aware of a rule that requires the hub for this application.
Don

Smart $

Esteemed Member
killer76 said:
This customer is threaten to hold pay unless changes are made or proof that this is not a code requirement.
I concur somewhat with Don, a hub at wall penetration is not required and could in fact be a code violation. However, installing such at the boundary may not be a violation if the situation meets an exception criteria of 501.15(B)(2), specifically Exception No. 3 judging from what information you have provided.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Smart,
Good point, the exception permits the seal to be deleted from this application. I missed that.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.