Install a distribution panel inside another enclosure??

I have a project where the service equipment (service equipment only) was installed on the primary dwelling and the utility required the service be located on a remote pedestal near the property line. Their electrician removed all of the utility side components and the main breaker from the distribution side then routed a pvc raceway and conduit body in the former utility section. There are numerous other violations shown in the photo that I won't get into.

I have provided direction to replace the panel with a suitable replacement. The only alternative to replacement might be to have the modified panel evaluated in the field by an approved third party field evaluation body (FEB) in accordance with NFPA 790/791 to ensure it will comply with UL 67. A main breaker would have to be installed as its a separate structure from the service and there are more than six disconnects.

The owner now wants to know if they can leave the original panel enclosure in place and install a new distribution panel inside of it. If they can find a single breaker panel that fits in one side of the current enclosure and install a new panel inside or adjacent to this panel i think it would be acceptable. A larger panel would require the factory installed partition to be removed.

Q: Would you allow a panel to be installed/nested inside the current enclosure?
Q: Would removing the partition trigger the requirement for a field evaluation?

Attachments

• McKean panelboard.jpg
    McKean panelboard.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Honestly the conduit body isn't what concerns me in the least. That panel does have a main breaker available for it currently. The actual issue I have with it is that the listing for the metermain is suitable for service equipment only.

Best way to deal with it at this point would be rip out what can be and install a new semi flush panel and then put trim from rock to new panel.