Install electrical service on vacant land

packersbay

Occupation
Electrician
I have some land and I can see electric poles on the street/road (not on land). I intend on buying an RV and just leaving it on land to be used. The question is ---

Can I install pole with electrical service (200amp) so that I can connect to it?

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
Request an "agricultural service", that tends to be a lot easier to get in my neck of the woods.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Depends greatly on local codes. Even though we are rural, and no zoning, the county will not allow an rv service without a septic tank. I have gotten around that by saying it’s for an electric gate and security lighting. Getting that inspection tomorrow. It’s actually for a house that will be built 1400’ away. (House will be permitted) The poco wanted $30,000 to run the lines down there. Owner said FU to the power company.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I had a client that wanted to install a service on a pole in a parking lot across the street from his business so he could charge an EV. County said no. They said a business or residential building is required to install a service. Sounds stupid to me.

hillbilly1

Occupation
I had a client that wanted to install a service on a pole in a parking lot across the street from his business so he could charge an EV. County said no. They said a business or residential building is required to install a service. Sounds stupid to me.
Our poco says the TVA (who they buy power from) will not allow a freestanding service, it has to be attached to a building before they will put a meter on it, yet they allow RV pedestals and MH services. No farm services allowed.

Depends greatly on local codes. Even though we are rural, and no zoning, the county will not allow an rv service without a septic tank. I have gotten around that by saying it’s for an electric gate and security lighting. Getting that inspection tomorrow. It’s actually for a house that will be built 1400’ away. (House will be permitted) The poco wanted $30,000 to run the lines down there. Owner said FU to the power company.
Are you doing step up step down or a large secondary?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I've put in several like that. POCO will set a pole and transformer if needed. I put a meter/main combo on it and an RV box along with a GFCI 120V receptacle with weatherproof cover. Most of the time, the customer is going to build a barn and maybe another structure later on. But I have had them just want the RV box. There are some jurisdictions, however, that want a septic system if they know nothing but an RV will be there.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I have some land and I can see electric poles on the street/road (not on land). I intend on buying an RV and just leaving it on land to be used. The question is ---

Can I install pole with electrical service (200amp) so that I can connect to it?
Agree with others here. You need to ask the county AHJ first, then the POCO.
The reason I say county first is some counties limit what size service you can install without an actual building. Here farm services are allowed but not in 200 amp. Too easy to park a mobile home and set up without inspections.. they limit you to 100 amp for farm and RV service.
POCO second because the AHJ probably already knows what the POCO will allow and help in that regard. Also if you have county approval POCO is SOMETIMES easier to deal with.

Both, Parallel 4/0 triplex with a pair of 480 single phase transformers.
I suggest taking the plunge to MV. Set it up as an MGM and you only need one CN
cable, about 2 bucks a foot. Padmount 7200 transformers are a dime a dozen and include ocpd's already. all you have to do is be able to put load break elbows on, but just follow the directions it's really not hard. Feel free to p.m. me if you want more info.

hillbilly1

Occupation
I suggest taking the plunge to MV. Set it up as an MGM and you only need one CN
cable, about 2 bucks a foot. Padmount 7200 transformers are a dime a dozen and include ocpd's already. all you have to do is be able to put load break elbows on, but just follow the directions it's really not hard. Feel free to p.m. me if you want more info.
Already bought the transformers and wire, funny thing is he bought the wire from the poco, I think he said $1.70 a foot x 2 runs. I was surprised at how cheap pad mounts were! Same company I got the transformers from sold pad mounts too. If I do this again, I may consider that route.

Poweranytime

FL EC
Occupation
Master EC
Several counties in Central Florida require either intent to build ie submitting permit for dwelling, a temporary rv permit where you can only be there six months out of the year or have animals on the property. Just last week we got service for a lady that had to by two goats just to get a pole