installation of a lightning protection systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mh183

has any one installed this , did you get a permit am looking at article 280 and nfpa 780-2004 if its in the book it must need a permit right ? any info would be appreciated.

cadpoint

Yes it gets inspected!

Around here there are a lot of projects that are done by sub contracts that do this type of work only or routinely / daily.

All things being equal, I think I'd leave it to them even though it might look fun to do or complete.
Just running a bonding ground ring around the building is not the same as a ligthning system.
The other nasty is dealing with the roof system and making friends with the roofer and the other services up there!

I'd also check up on your company's insurance policy to CYA!

mh183

thanks that's what i thought about the inspection, and no i never did it and don't want to play with that, like you i assume only a few guys each state probably do this type of work i cannot imagine there is no damage at all after a hit. although i have rewired a few houses that where hit. thanks for your reply

bphgravity

Here in Florida, lighting protection is only REQUIRED on (3) occupancy types; Hospitals, Nursing Homes, & Educational Facilities. A few counties have amended their local code of ordinances to include all public owned buildings & emergency shelters. In these cases, permitting and inspection would be required.

So technically, if you were to install an LPS on a structure that is not required by code or law to have an LPS, no permit would be required and thus no inspections.

The craziest part of the whole matter is that LPS installers are exempt from ANY type of state license. A few local jurisdictions have competency & occupational licensing requirements, but not many. And many of the jurisdictions that do require permitting of LPS's, only require submittal of 3rd party (UL or LPI) certification after the work has been completed and perform no additional or filed inspections.

Status
Not open for further replies.