Installing 200 amp automatic transfer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcfjr

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This is an Eaton MBE4040B200BTS meter distribution service panel. The customer now wants a 200 amp automatic transfer switch for standby power. Does anyone have an idea how to hook the line/loads up?
fetch

Attachments

• photo22175.jpg
    photo22175.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 12

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
My guess would be to use the feed through lugs in the meter combo to feed the ATS. You would need to send a 4-wire feed over since the meter combo is the main and the ATS is a subpanel of sorts. Also need to take the branch circuits and move them to a new panel, either outside or inside, also fed from a 4-wire from the ATS.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is there no legal way to intercept the conductors from the meter, hit the ATS, and return to the panel?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Is there no legal way to intercept the conductors from the meter, hit the ATS, and return to the panel?

I'm no expert, but being the meter/main is a listed assembly I would say no since the line conductors are connected in the factory.

I did one similar to this earlier this year. I ran from the meter/main to the ATS, which was in the basement. I put a 200A panel fed from the ATS next to it. Then the conductors for the generator ran back outside. Of course, how you run depends on location of all the components.

The OP's situation is a little different since the branch conductors are already ran to the meter/main. It would be ideal if you could intercept the line conductors but not sure if it would be allowed.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would ask the inspector (presuming permitting) if it would be okay to do that, even if it means separating grounds and neutrals.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If allowed, you would have to run two conduits, one for line conductors from the meter and one for the feed from ATS back to the panel. There might not be room for that but can't say for sure.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Can you come out of the pull section to the ATS and then back to the combo? Remove the factory-installed wiring from the meter to the main.

Do you violate the listing....?

swptln

Per Code and the listing, your not going to be able too. Altering the factory wiring will violate the listing of the meter/main assembly. About the only thing you can do is install a ATS on the load side of the Service Disconnect/Main and install another panel to put all the branch circuits on the load side of the ATS. So, the Service Disconnect/Main panel will have just a 200A breaker in it. Unfortunately, that meter main w/panel assembly is not designed for what you need to do.

Strombea

I am in the same situation in AZ and using exact same panel from Eaton. My plan was to turn off main breaker, unbolt main breaker from buss and put in a lug for 2/0 on each of the phase bolts to feed ATS, and then use the Eaton snap on BR pass through kit on the buss to refeed the panel. 4 2/0 wires is a lotto fit in a panel though. I understand that it probably is changing the listing but at least it is after the main breaker what I am confused about is if you turn off the main breaker you still have no way to stop the generator from kicking on in the event of firefighters needing to come but even if they pull the meter the generator will kick on and there will be power in the house that is on fire.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am in the same situation in AZ and using exact same panel from Eaton. My plan was to turn off main breaker, unbolt main breaker from buss and put in a lug for 2/0 on each of the phase bolts to feed ATS, and then use the Eaton snap on BR pass through kit on the buss to refeed the panel. 4 2/0 wires is a lotto fit in a panel though. I understand that it probably is changing the listing but at least it is after the main breaker what I am confused about is if you turn off the main breaker you still have no way to stop the generator from kicking on in the event of firefighters needing to come but even if they pull the meter the generator will kick on and there will be power in the house that is on fire.

That wouldn't fly here as the feed through kit is not bolted down, then add modifying a listed panel.

fcfjr

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That wouldn't fly here as the feed through kit is not bolted down, then add modifying a listed panel.

If the AHJ allowed the modification of the listed panel what in your opinion would the code issues be in removing the line side conductors from the 200 amp main, spliced through to a 200 amp disconnect, from the disconnect to a 200 amp automatic transfer switch and then back up to the line side of the 200 amp main.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Equipment left the factory listed as is. Punching your own holes in the cabinet could just as easily be called modifying the product and void the listing, yes/no?

Where do we draw the line on modifications being permitted per the listing other than if instructions specifically allow a particular modification?

It has gotten to the point anymore you can not fabricate anything or even make the slightest modification without someone telling you you aren't allowed to do that. How do ideas ever become new products if people don't have the ability to tweak things to fit a particular need here or there? Most the time an idea starts out there in the real world where problems are occurring and not in a lab.

fcfjr

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Equipment left the factory listed as is. Punching your own holes in the cabinet could just as easily be called modifying the product and void the listing, yes/no?

Where do we draw the line on modifications being permitted per the listing other than if instructions specifically allow a particular modification?

It has gotten to the point anymore you can not fabricate anything or even make the slightest modification without someone telling you you aren't allowed to do that. How do ideas ever become new products if people don't have the ability to tweak things to fit a particular need here or there? Most the time an idea starts out there in the real world where problems are occurring and not in a lab.

Thank you for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.