Installing 4' and 8' LED tubes, is the plastic film supposed to be removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyoligist2

Please excuse me for asking a dumb question please!

I have no clues on this subject except how to wire them!

It is too late in the day to get in touch with the manufacturer and we are supposed to get back to work on this project at 6 AM tomorrow. Before the brass arrives, we would be in their way.

The boss bought them and lost the instructions, he is bad about that!

We are installing LED tubes in some of our old 4' and 8' open florescent fixtures.

They have a plastic wrap on one side, opposite of the "reflector" side, like Saran wrap. It doesn't cover the whole tube.

The boss wants it peeled off, I'm thinking it is there to keep it from shattering and falling on the floor/people?

He thinks it will melt, I don't think so.

Help? Please?

sparkyrick

Please excuse me for asking a dumb question please!

I have no clues on this subject except how to wire them!

It is too late in the day to get in touch with the manufacturer and we are supposed to get back to work on this project at 6 AM tomorrow. Before the brass arrives, we would be in their way.

The boss bought them and lost the instructions, he is bad about that!

We are installing LED tubes in some of our old 4' and 8' open florescent fixtures.

They have a plastic wrap on one side, opposite of the "reflector" side, like Saran wrap. It doesn't cover the whole tube.

The boss wants it peeled off, I'm thinking it is there to keep it from shattering and falling on the floor/people?

He thinks it will melt, I don't think so.

Help? Please?
Whats the part number on the new lamp? Can you Google installation instructions from the interweb?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
LED tubes will not get hot enough to melt plastic.
The light might eventually weaken or darken the plastic though.
Have you tried looking on the Internet for the instructions?
There should be enough identifying information on the tubes to allow that.

Tapatalk!

sparkyrick

T-8 and T-5 florescent's get pretty warm and they don't have any special wrap. Except for lamps in open fixtures over food products, they usually have a shatterproof coating to protect the food, not people.

I say peel it off.

hockeyoligist2

I don't even know the name brand!

The boss told me to get on the ladder, remove the ballasts and give him 120v on the "tombstones".

He and a coworker were pulling off the plastic and handing me tubes as fast as I could rewire!

It was hectic, it happened after the brass left and has to be finished before they arrive in the AM!

We have about 80 to rewire and replace!

sparkyrick

I don't even know the name brand!

The boss told me to get on the ladder, remove the ballasts and give him 120v on the "tombstones".

He and a coworker were pulling off the plastic and handing me tubes as fast as I could rewire!

It was hectic, it happened after the brass left and has to be finished before they arrive in the AM!

We have about 80 to rewire and replace!

There gotta be a part number on the replacement..........right next to the UL label, if it has one :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.