Installing a Smaller EMT Conduit Into a Set-Screw Hub of a Larger Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
While there are creative ways to solve this one, be mindful of approved uses of fittings, connectors and such and especially of home-made parts. As kwired said, sometimes it's more cost effective to spend a bit more upfront.
The process of making a home made part and then getting it listed for a one time application can definitely be cost prohibitive compared to using something mass produced that is already listed. ;)

britcollector

Occupation
Engineer
While there are creative ways to solve this one, be mindful of approved uses of fittings, connectors and such and especially of home-made parts. As kwired said, sometimes it's more cost effective to spend a bit more upfront.
Exactly! I know that it is common practice to thread NPSM fittings into NPT hubs; it's done often and I see it all the time...but it's not an approved method for ground continuity. That's why in my original post, I was asking for suggestions for an "...approved way..."

I always say, "The stingiest person spends the most."
I wasn't being stingy, I purchased the original t-type bodies thinking that there MUST BE some manufacturer out there making adapters. I bought before I researched it, and I'm really surprised that no one has a product to convert hubs. No biggie...even if I can't sell the screw-type hub versions, I'm still not out that much.

josiahcarlson

Did you test fit a 1" rigid coupling in the 1 1/4 hub to see how close it fits? I've never tried it with rigid but we used to do something similar with PVC. Or you could be a tap and thread the hubs yourself.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

britcollector

Occupation
Engineer
Actually, I did test a 1" rigid coupling last week and it fitted perfectly. I was able to cancel my order for the threaded bodies. So I am using a 1" rigid coupling, a 1" to 3/4" bushing, and a 3/4" compression fitting. The setup isn't really approved for ground continuity, but the inspector is okay with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.